• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Noise from front of manual transmission.

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Irregular whirring noise from clutch area. Louder when its cold (in the morning) most noticeable at idling. Clutch seems to work OK but pedal appears to be at the the top. NOT slipping. Loose Y pipe maybe? Has 285K on it. Clutch replaced 10 years ago. Thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does the noise change when clutch pedal is up or down?

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No. I read somewhere it might be a flywheel problem.

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Checked the Y-pipe. Its OK. Could it be the fingers of the pressure plate riding around on the clutch slave making that noise? Thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, failing throwout bearing or pilot bearing but these will have a noise change depending on clutch pedal up or down

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Its a low rumbling noise. I think its pressure plate or flywheel. But it doesn't change with pedal position.

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Bearings can make a low grumbling noise like you describe. All bearings (roller/ball) in any service position. TO and pilot are in the vicinity.

Wheel bearings especially are a good example of that grumbling.
Just as an example.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
More likely to be internal transmission issue if noise doesn't change with clutch pedal position

Do you still hear the noise when coasting in Neutral with clutch pedal down all the way?
And does the noise change if still coasting and you put it in say 3rd gear, clutch pedal down?

And does the noise change while coasting in gear with clutch pedal down all the way, and you REV the engine?

Flywheel and pressure plate can only spin at engine RPMs
Transmission can only spin at rear wheel speed(in gear)

If noise only follows rear wheel speed then its a transmission issue
If it only follows engine RPMs then flywheel/pressure plate

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
My '94 has made a noise similar to what has been described here ("irregular", "rumbling", "most noticeable at idle", etc.) and audible outside up to about 10 feet away. A friend called it "gear rollover noise" and could be resonating through the exhaust heat shields or frame or ?.
Checking the trans fluid, I found it to be bright pink, so I just kept an eye (ear) on it after I first noticed it. It never did get worse over 90K miles all the way up to when I put the truck in storage a couple years ago. I've noticed the same noise on other M5ODs, though none as loud as my '94. The noise however does go away when the clutch pedal is down (clutch released), so that part isn't quite fitting here (I can't think of any noise that would be internal to the transmission that isn't changed by pedal-up vs. pedal-down unless the clutch disc is dragging slightly, in which case it would still be affected by putting it in gear).

Regardless, thing to check is the fluid condition... It can potentially tell you a lot about the condition of the transmission. It should be anywhere from a bright pink color to a deep red or purple with maybe a slight brownish tint. If it's black, it probably hasn't been changed in forever. If it grayish or metallic-looking, the transmission likely will need some attention (rebuild or replacement).

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. Seems to change a little bit with engine rpm (clutch dis-engaged). Transmission fluid was changed about 3 years ago. Checked it and it was full (purplish color) recently.
Hope its not my input bearing to the transmission.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Input shaft bearing is not a common failing, but a known failing, on any manual transmission because of "how it works"

The main thing is that the Crank shaft and input shaft, at the transmission end, are PERFECTLY ALIGNED
This is done by bell housing being perfectly machined to center the input shaft bearing
And alignment dowels on bell housing and block are not worn down, the bolts just hold the bell housing and block together, not precise enough for true alignment, that's the point of the alignment pins or dowels

Then there's the Pilot bearing that holds the end of the input shaft in prefect alignment so the shaft spins true

Lots of "prefect stuff" to go wrong, lol

If there is a slight misalignment then you get a vibration at the input shaft bearing end, crank/flywheel has too much mass(weight) to vibrate because of misalignment, so transmission end gets the brunt of vibrations
Its not a vibration you would feel, just there for the bearing to deal with
After several transmission/engine separations over the years older vehicles can have misalignment
Or a failed Pilot Bearing that's not changed right away, or noticed

So input shaft bearing can fail over time

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I remember reading about some a4ld trans that were machined wrong and would have problems with the pump, and maybe bearing? It's been a long time since I read that and dont remember exactly where it was posted. I don't think it was TRS.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

Yes, there were issues with A4LD bell housings, causing misalignment, but it would cause front seal to fail and ATF would start coming out pretty fast, which would hasten a repair long before bearing damaged

Similar to Rear Main seal failing on engine side, you would fix it, hopefully before bearing damage, lol.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals