• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

noise 3.0?

flaymon1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A fellow Ranger owner left this question on mycardomain can you guys give any advice on what it could be?

"hey u seem to know a lot about rangers. i have a 1998 ranger 3.0 and after reaching 100 000 miles and changing the oil. ever time i drive now it makes a ticking sound that goes with the engine rps. this seem to be a common problem with the 3.0s and ford says they don't know what it could be. i thing it might be the oil pump because it doesn't sound like a valve do u know anything about this ? thanks"

http://www.cardomain.com/id/cky033

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you should refer him to TRS so he can get other future issues solved here too :cool:

did he check his oil to make sure the right amount was put it? if it was his oil pump, his dummy oil gauge would indicate low pressure (and his engine would likely be seized by now). sounds like a collapsed lifter to me.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
+1 on the lifter

All of a sudden after 116,000 mi My truck would tick all the time even when it was hot but I ran some seafoam thru the oil and now it only dose it when its cold after it sits for a day

flaymon1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I gave him the TRS address on his Cardomain.

Jordan94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I am having the same trouble with my 1994 Mazda B3000 4x4 SE. This knocking/ticking noise only starts when the truck has been running for about 5 minutes and continues all day, There is no check engine light and this is starting to worry me as its my only ride to school. Would this Seafoam be worth a try first and if not possibly a lifter gone????

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
You might wanna give it a try, If you do put seafoam in the oil make you sure you change the oil 100 mi after you add it.

From what your saying it might be something worse like a rod bearing, after the oil warms up and thins out a little the clearances might be to much but who knows

Jordan94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
This Seafoam stuff how to you put it in iv never heard of it or seen it yet any directions for it? Im going to go to the dealer in a few so there gonna have a look ill post back what they say

Jordan94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
The ford dealer says it could be timing or distributor but thinks its the lifter. I'm booked tomorrow first thing in the morning so there gonna take a good look and find out what it really is.

Jordan94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Well after 1400 Canadian dollars I have all new lifters and throttle linkage plus Mobil 1 oil change. Turns out my truck had been running on 2 collapsed lifters and the guy that i just recently bought it off did something which i think was seafoam to make the knocking temperaly go away so when i test run and etc it seems fine. All I can say is be carfull when buying used vehicles. No more knocking now :clapping:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
at least you got it fixed. it should be a pretty reliable rig for a while now.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
Ahhhh that sucks, glad you got it fixed tho

RedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey I dont know if I have the same knocking but I just thought I would ask. When ever I put my 2001 3.0L under any kind of load as in flooring it or hauling something the engine will start knocking, but only for a short period of time. And I dont know what it is but I think its spark knocking, what sould I do for that?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Hey I dont know if I have the same knocking but I just thought I would ask. When ever I put my 2001 3.0L under any kind of load as in flooring it or hauling something the engine will start knocking, but only for a short period of time. And I dont know what it is but I think its spark knocking, what sould I do for that?
Try running the next grade gasoline on the next fill up, see if the noise goes away.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals