• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No turn signals, 4-way flashers work - also no backup lights

mrbeezroom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a 1994 Mazda B3000 ext cab and none of my turn signals work. They were working a while back, albeit very slowly and weak. They recently stopped working altogether. My 4-way emergency flashers are fine (even when I remove the flasher unit from the fuse box). I checked the fuse panel and the fuses seemed fine. Installed a new flasher unit and it had no effect. I believe there is only one flasher unit located on the fuse box. Headlights, brake lights, and windshield wipers/washers are all working. The right half of my instrument panel doesn't light up (been like that for a while), most likely a bulb.
The truck is completely stock except for a shell on the bed.
The 5-speed manual transmission has been replaced/rebuilt.
My backup lights don't work (most likely related to the transmission work).

telsar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
That heppened to me, also. It was the flasher/interuptor round thing in the fuse panel under the dash on the drivers side. I replaced it and they started working again. The emergency flashers worked fine the whole time. I got a new turn signal switch first, but it did not fix it. Mine is a 93 xlt 3.0 standard.

mrbeezroom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Replaced the flasher, but still no turn signals.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1994 and earlier used separate flashers for turn and 4-way
1995 and up used one flasher for both

Should be flasher on the front of fuse panel and one on the back side as well
Remove the front flasher and try 4-ways, if they don't work then front flasher is for 4-ways, back is for turn signals, but front flasher is usually for turn signals

In 1994 fuse #5 15amp is for the turn signals, AND Backup Lights, so its probably blown if turn and reverse lights both don't work
A fuse can "look good" and not be, so test or change the 15 amp fuse

Not an uncommon occurrence is that the backup light wires on the transmission can get melted by exhaust heat and short, so locate the wires, drivers side of transmission, and follow the wire forward and up to firewall connector
On a manual trans its just the 2 wires
On an automatic back up wires are hooked to NSS switch just above shift linkage, round plunger style switch with 4 or 5 wire connected

The wire from fuse #5 to backup light switch is Purple/orange stripe wire

Last edited:

mrbeezroom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
According to my Owner's Manual there is only one flasher for both and I did replace it. The 4-ways work without any flasher at all. I'll look under the dash again for anything that resembles another flasher unit. Also, I've got a lot of fuses , so I'll replace some old ones with new and see if it helps. Thanks for your input. It gives me somewhere to start.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 4-ways work without any flasher at all.
So you know there must be TWO flashers then :)

But the one you pulled out is the one for the turn signals or 4-ways wouldn't still work
With 4-ways on you should be able to hear the clicks and then reach under dash to "feel" the 4-way flasher working and where it is

Fuse #5

If you have a volt meter or test light check that one terminal in that fuse plugin has 12volts with key on

Fuses 5, 9, and 17 all get 12volts from ignition switch on the same wire, #9(30amp) is for Blower/heater fan, so if it works then ignition switch wire to fuse panel is OK

Last edited:

mrbeezroom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
RonD,
Thanks for the help. I put another flasher in and changed fuse #5, and voila, I have turn signals. Next stop: backup lights.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Backup lights are same #5 fuse so check backup bulbs, you often don't notice when 1 goes out, only when BOTH bulbs are burned out

mrbeezroom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'll check the bulbs, but I'm pretty sure they got overlooked when I had the tranny overhauled. Thanks again.:):icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals