• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No start unless IAC is unplugged warm or cold

jer305

Reaction score
I have been using the truck for several months and it ran okay but not great. One day it started to buck and bog with moderate throttle, limped the truck home. Looking around under the hood found a vacuum leak and fixed it (the truck did have a high idle).

Thinking the IAC was the issue I unplugged it while warm and the truck would run smooth and only needed the slightest throttle input to keep from stalling out. The odd part is the truck will not run unless the IAC is unplugged, even with this the truck can move far. If the engine is cold the truck will not start unless the IAC is unplugged.

I have tried taking the leads off the battery and touching them together for about 3 mins to clear the computer. No difference seen.

1. Truck will not run unless IAC is unplugged (warm and cold). A new IAC sees no difference in performance. Truck revs up great and smooth with IAC unplugged.
2. IAC plugged in the truck will crank with what appears to be zero effort in starting.

Any advice on what the issue could be or tests to run?

The vacuum leak was a hose disconnected at the vacuum tank below the air box. Also next to the starter solenoid is what looks like a vacuum solenoid with a missing hose on the red port. This solenoid also seems to buzz after key off.

1987 STX
4x4

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals