• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) No Start Unless Gas Pedal Floored

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey Guys,
I have a 1991 ford ranger 2.3l that won’t start unless I push the gas pedal to the floor while turning the key. It used to happen only sometimes, but now it happens every time I try to start it and I burned up my starter after weeks of doing it this way. I tested it and got 21 and 24 engine codes. I’ve replaced the IACV, the coolant temp sensor and sender, the fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, and coil packs. I think the engine might be flooding somehow, which is why it starts when I put the pedal to the floor. I tested the fuel pressure a few months ago and it was normal and wasn’t losing pressure.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
When you press down on the pedal it disables the fuel injectors, it's called clear flood mode.

So if its starting while doing that obviously fuel is in the cylinders. The only 2 ways fuel can get into the engine that way would be a leaking fuel injector. Or a bad fuel pressure regulator. Pull the vacuum line off the regulator and see if there is fuel in it.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
On the lines of what Dirtman said, What happens when you hold the peddle to the floor after it starts? If the injectors leak it should start then die out.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
On the lines of what Dirtman said, What happens when you hold the peddle to the floor after it starts? If the injectors leak it should start then die out.
Once I let off, the rpm spikes for a few seconds and then it runs and idles fine. Should I try holding the pedal down longer to see if that kills it?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
When you press down on the pedal it disables the fuel injectors, it's called clear flood mode.

So if its starting while doing that obviously fuel is in the cylinders. The only 2 ways fuel can get into the engine that way would be a leaking fuel injector. Or a bad fuel pressure regulator. Pull the vacuum line off the regulator and see if there is fuel in it.
Thanks,
I’ll check out the fuel pressure regulator. If the fuel injectors were leaking, would I notice the fuel pressure dropping if I tested it?

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Check to see if there is fuel in the Fuel Pressure Regulator line first, FPR for short, if no fuel in the line then hold the peddle down to see if it stalls out. If it stalls out keep holding the peddle down and crank the engine over. If it try's to fire up, fires on a cylinder or two, then you have a leaky injector/s.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Check to see if there is fuel in the Fuel Pressure Regulator line first, FPR for short, if no fuel in the line then hold the peddle down to see if it stalls out. If it stalls out keep holding the peddle down and crank the engine over. If it try's to fire up, fires on a cylinder or two, then you have a leaky injector/s.
That didn’t kill it lol. It just reved up to like 6k and sounded badass. I guess that rules out leaky injectors? No fuel came out of the regulator, but it does kind of smell like gas. The truck runs and drives fine once I can get it started.

Last edited:

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
OK holding the peddle down should shut the fuel off. There are 2 reasons that it didn't : 1st is the throttle cable has stretched. Cure: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/throttle-cable-mod/

2nd is that the throttle position sensor is bad. Off the top of my head I can not remember what the wide open throttle should read on this sensor, voltage with a multimeter, but @RonD will and hope he will chime in with the answer for you to check. My thinking is 5 volts but I could be wrong and why I want some one else to speak up about it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
OK holding the peddle down should shut the fuel off. There are 2 reasons that it didn't : 1st is the throttle cable has stretched. Cure: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/throttle-cable-mod/

2nd is that the throttle position sensor is bad. Off the top of my head I can not remember what the wide open throttle should read on this sensor, voltage with a multimeter, but @RonD will and hope he will chime in with the answer for you to check. My thinking is 5 volts but I could be wrong and why I want some one else to speak up about it.
I’ve already taken the slack out of my cable so it opens the throttle all the way. So you’re saying if you push the gas pedal all the way to the floor it should shut the fuel off after it’s started? I thought that was only when it’s starting?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If everything is working as it should, the truck should not start AT ALL if the pedal is pressed all the way down when you turn the key, it should just crank and crank until you take your foot off the pedal. This feature is designed to clear out a flooded engine.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If everything is working as it should, the truck should not start AT ALL if the pedal is pressed all the way down when you turn the key, it should just crank and crank until you take your foot off the pedal. This feature is designed to clear out a flooded engine.
If I just turn the key it will crank over and over but won’t start. I have to turn the key, then push down on the gas for a few seconds while it’s cranking and then let off once it starts. But it won’t start unless I push down on the gas pedal while it’s cranking.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yes I understand that, what's happening is you have excess fuel in the cylinders. (Engine is flooded) when you hold the pedal down and start the truck you're clearing the flood and letting the engine start on the remaining fuel in the cylinders, then taking your foot off the pedal turns the injectors back on so it can run normally.

You need to find out where the fuel is coming from, injectors or FPR.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes I understand that, what's happening is you have excess fuel in the cylinders. (Engine is flooded) when you hold the pedal down and start the truck you're clearing the flood and letting the engine start on the remaining fuel in the cylinders, then taking your foot off the pedal turns the injectors back on so it can run normally.

You need to find out where the fuel is coming from, injectors or FPR.
Okay,
I didn’t notice any fuel in the FPR line, but it did smell like gas a bit. Maybe the FPR is going bad and flooding the engine when I try to start it somehow? What would be the easiest way to check for a leaking fuel injector?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Cycle key on and off 3 times
Press gas pedal down to the floor and hold it down all the way(turns injectors off, leaves spark on)
Crank engine
If it fires(or starts) then there is gasoline inside the intake, and there shouldn't be

After engine gets to 400rpms(cranking speed is 200rpms), or higher, computer exits "Clear flooded engine" and its no longer available, so no, "flooring the gas pedal" won't shut off injectors when engine is running, just when at 0 RPMs and under 200rpms

Yes, Throttle sensor is a 5volt sensor, should be 1volt throttle close, 0.69 to 0.99 specifically, and above 4.49volts at WOT(wide open), 4.5-4.99volts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Cycle key on and off 3 times
Press gas pedal down to the floor and hold it down all the way(turns injectors off, leaves spark on)
Crank engine
If it fires(or starts) then there is gasoline inside the intake, and there shouldn't be

After engine gets to 400rpms(cranking speed is 200rpms), or higher, computer exits "Clear flooded engine" and its no longer available, so no, "flooring the gas pedal" won't shut off injectors when engine is running, just when at 0 RPMs and under 200rpms

Yes, Throttle sensor is a 5volt sensor, should be 1volt throttle close, 0.69 to 0.99 specifically, and above 4.49volts at WOT(wide open), 4.5-4.99volts
Thanks,
That’s clever. I’ll try that tomorrow morning to see if fuel’s leaking into the intake without the injectors on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals