• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No spark

michowski

Reaction score
Well at 5:30 this morning on my way to work, my motor just suddenly died while I was doing 50mph on the main street. I was able to coast into a walmart parking lot and make it to work. Now I got my truck back home from a tow with my dads truck but I still cant seem to figure this out.

I have full power for radio, lights, ect. When it cut my motor it was as if the key got turned off when it died. I started with the plugs and wires and started to work my way back. I went to autozone since it was 1 minute down the street and bought a new coil pack which didnt help any. I checked all the fuses and I have no idea's where to really check now. Im not much of an electrical person so im not familiar with all the wiring. Where can I go from here to try and solve why my spark quit on me?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
do you have a test light check for power at the coil with the key on will the starter work can you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key on not sure on a 93 but normally there is a fuel pump relay or relays and a computer relay need more info

michowski

Reaction score
I do got fuel pressure. I just used the shrader valve in the parking lot to see if it had pressure built up and it surely did. For spark what I could do in the lot was I just removed the wire from the pack to the cap and put a screw driver in it and just the motor a bump while someone looked and zero spark. The problem lies behind the coil somewhere but I have no clue were. If the coil pack isnt getting power, where can I check next?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
there should be a power relay for the computer could be bad do you have a 12v test light turn the key on and check for power to coil. or a guy had a intermittent problem the ground to the coil was dirty take the ground and coil apart clean the surfaces for the ground. when you find the power relay for the emissions listen for a click as you turn the key on and a few secounds after you turn it off

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
not sure but it should be by the fuel pump relay hold a screwdriver on it and put your ear up to it as someone turns the key on

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
you can make a test light just solder two wires on a light bulb and not a bad idea to look at all the connections especially the grounds

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
do you have a crank position sensor check the connector is does sound like a loose connector or burnt wire

michowski

Reaction score
I do got a volt meter I can use. Il have to go through it tomorrow.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
if you get no power to the coil with the key on work your way back to the ignition switch is there a fuse for the ignition 10 60a in the power distribution box the spark is controlled by the computer so even if there is power to the coil it needs power to the computer to fire . the computer is powered from fuse 8 30a in the power distribution box and should have power to the relay with the key on GL

michowski

Reaction score
if you get no power to the coil with the key on work your way back to the ignition switch is there a fuse for the ignition 10 60a in the power distribution box the spark is controlled by the computer so even if there is power to the coil it needs power to the computer to fire . the computer is powered from fuse 8 30a in the power distribution box and should have power to the relay with the key on GL
In my ford manual it says fuse 8 in the box is open, no fuse.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
there a 60a fuse for the ignition and a 30a fuse for the EEC. do you have a repair manual or just the operator manual. check the fuses and the relays in the power distribution box not the fuse block in the cab i believe it is on the passenger side wheelwell or look for a box with a bunch of wires going into it with a lid you can listen to the relays or hold them while someone turns the key on and off to see if they are working

michowski

Reaction score
All the fuses in the box are good. Tomorrow im gonna check the pick up coil on the distributor and the ignition switch to see if they are getting power.

masterbrenden

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2010
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
3.0l v6/4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
does that year have a crank sensor and or a cam sensor?
have you checked them?

michowski

Reaction score
Also something else I forgot to mention is my check engine light immediatly came on at the time it all went down.

michowski

Reaction score
I ended up taking it into my local shop. They narrowed it down to either pcm or the wiring to the pcm. Day ran late and had to stop so tomorrow il know the answer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals