• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No sound from radio 2019 Ranger

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If the display is still working, I’d say it’s an issue in the APIM. Take it to the dealer and have them check it out. Let us know what they find.

APIM is not suspect if the system turns on and registers that it is on but you get no sound. APIM is the Accessory Protocol Interface Module. It mostly handles connections from Bluetooth devices and the aux, RCA and SD inputs. If only those were affected but the CD player and radio worked normally APIM would be a prime suspect, although they are not nearly as problematic as they were at the beginning.

The ACM (Audio Control Module, basically the radio head unit) is responsible for all audio outputs, including the door chimes. I have seen a few bad on vehicles still under warranty this year alone.

As was said, this truck is still under warranty. Even if the issue is sporadic yet call them up and let them know you are having issues. Let them know you understand that there isn't much they can do if the issue isn't happening when they look at it, but it still helps to let them know something is going on. Depending on the size of the dealership they may tell you to just swing in and have them look without an appointment if it happens to act up while you are out driving.

arniechugh

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Lar
Transmission
Automatic
In my case, for my 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, there was no sound, the radio would say Preset Blank and tries to connect to the radio and then the radio would turn off. I tried every permutation and combination to resolve the issue, but none worked until I tried my last resort.

While I tried to resolve the issue on my own:
> I spoke to the Technical support at Ford Company for T/s tip if any: No Result: They recommended taking the truck to the dealership for diagnosis.
> I spoke to Ford Dealership for T/s, and they recommended bringing the truck for diagnosis by the tech, however, there is a two-week waiting period, therefore: No Result

A Short Video that shows where the fuses are located on a 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat:

Steps I performed in order to resolve the issue:
1. Checked the Fuses as shown in the video. Everything was good.
2. Master reset on the Display (You can find this option in settings under General.
3. Module Reset (Keep the Volume power button and the right seek Key: >>| pressed for 10 seconds simultaneously)
4. Upgraded the software: (Connect the system to WiFi and then do an Automatic Upgrade under Settings>General)
5. Last Resort > Unplug the battery and Reconnect it (Disconnected Negative Leg of the Battery for 30 Minutes: You Need not do that long. Reconnected the Battery) and it worked fine. - ISSUE RESOLVED

BTW: After I resolved the issue, I called #ford, and took them to task by letting them know, how come a known issue doesn't have a fix. There are countless people around the world experiencing this issue. While they reach out to a dealership, all that dealership does is replace Amplifiers. Eventually, the problem reoccurs as the resolution provided is incorrect. It's a shame.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Thats pretty much how all problems are resolved, try different things until problem goes away, but.................
You didn't fix the problem, you just got radio working again, and there is a difference, lol
By doing a Master Reset, i.e. removed all power, let capacitors drain, 5-10min, restored power, all modules rebooted and radio worked, so radio function was restored but problem is still unknown

So did the upgraded software fix it?
Needed a full reboot, like some computers need, and that fixed the problem for good
Or when same situation occurs again will radio stop working?

i.e. a slow leak in a tire, I fixed it by putting air in the tire.................not really fixed, lol, but I can now drive the vehicle and just put air in that tire as needed, and driving the vehicle means its "fixed"

Ford can't "fix" a "problem" unless they know how/why the problem occurred in the first place
If radios are not working in Fords "all over the world" I would image they will eventually find a specific reason, master reboot, restores function but may not be a solution long term

For the time being your method to restore Radio function should help many others, Thanks for sharing that (y)

Last edited:

arniechugh

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Lar
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS :)

Thats pretty much how all problems are resolved, try different things until problem goes away, but.................
You didn't fix the problem, you just got radio working again, and there is a difference, lol
By doing a Master Reset, i.e. removed all power, let capacitors drain, 5-10min, restored power, all modules rebooted and radio worked, so radio function was restored but problem is still unknown

So did the upgraded software fix it?
Needed a full reboot, like some computers need, and that fixed the problem for good
Or when same situation occurs again will radio stop working?

i.e. a slow leak in a tire, I fixed it by putting air in the tire.................not really fixed, lol, but I can now drive the vehicle and just put air in that tire as needed, and driving the vehicle means its "fixed"

Ford can't "fix" a "problem" unless they know how/why the problem occurred in the first place
If radios are not working in Fords "all over the world" I would image they will eventually find a specific reason, master reboot, restores function but may not be a solution long term

For the time being your method to restore Radio function should help many others, Thanks for sharing that (y)

Really!

With the given limited time and resources, this is the only best solution that I could come up with. I see this as a computer glitch or a malfunctioning switchover issue.

The only reason I posted my solution was, that many people are experiencing this similar issue and they are clueless about how to resolve it. At this point I'm glad, I summarized and posted the steps and I'm glad that I reached out to Ford to report on how I resolved the issue and asked them what they've done to tackle this situation. In my next step, I had been preparing to send a detailed summary of the issue to customer relationship at a ford in Michigan, with a plan to follow up.

I find your response very unappreciative.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For the time being your method to restore Radio function should help many others, Thanks for sharing that :)
It was appreciated and I apologize if you felt otherwise

I was just pointing out that Ford, or GM, or any car maker, can't fix any issue until they find the cause of the issue, and with some issues it can take years
4.0l SOHC timing chain issue took 4 years to find the cause and another 2 years to implement a fix, 1997 to 2003

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Just this week my radio refuses to play the radio show I listen to in the morning on my iPhone.
Bluetoof doesn't work but sometimes if I turn Bluetoof off on my phone, then back on it will play.
Thing is the name of the show comes up on the screen, just no sound.
If I plug in the wire from the console, it works.
Everything else still plays via Bluetoof. Other radio apps, YouTube, all are okay.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Was there a recent update? There might be some kind of issue with a system update since it worked before.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals