• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No sound… and some other issues

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So it’s been a couple years since I really messed with computers. My desktop I had built back when started acting up, crashing and stuff about two years ago. I had a suspicion the power supply was on its way out but my spare was buried and I was busy. The on board sound stopped working before that point and I had bought a card to replace it which had been working fine until the computer started going wonky. I had my laptop and tablet so it really wasn’t a priority to fix.

So I really wanted to get access to some files and music that was on my desktop and with being off work and winter, I finally made it a priority. Dug out and swapped the power supply and it fired right up and after running the check disk stuff that windows pops up when it’s shut down wrong, it was up and running and stable, so I went ahead and got a new power supply and the spare went back to its home in my parts computer since it doesn’t have all of the fittings to run everything. Bunch of settings apparently got messed up somewhere along the line.

Now, it runs and seems pretty stable but I don’t have sound anymore. Gave the card a visual inspection and nothing looks damaged and no capacitors look blown (my Xbox is a different story, I’ll get into that separate). Tried using both front and back ports and different speakers/headsets. Nothing. Don’t know what exactly to check for settings and drivers and all, I used to know but I haven’t been able to figure it out. I remember not being able to figure out why the on-board sound died either, but if I remember right, that was one of those things that was kinda common for my board. So that’s the first thing, I want to see if I can figure out exactly what the problem is with my sound and what sound card to replace it with if the card is indeed dead.

The other issue is monitor/video related. For $20 I picked up a large Dell monitor/tv. Think it’s like 37”, I have the specs somewhere, but it was sold as a monitor that also had tv connections. I hooked it up to run as a cloned monitor, but it cuts off the edge of the screen all the way around and I have no idea how to resolve that. I’ve tried setting it as my only monitor and that doesn’t resolve the issue either. I can’t seem to find any settings anywhere to change it. Resolution looks a little rough too. I expected something better out of what was marketed as a monitor.

Now, don’t laugh at the specs for this old beast…

Intel motherboard (I’d have to find the exact one)
3.2 ghz quad core intel processor
EVGA 600 watt power supply
EVGA 9800 GTX video card (nvidea)
HT Omega sound card

Running XP Pro

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals