• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No Power

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Today I got back from class and parked my truck, later this evening I had gone out to go get something to eat, only to find that my truck has no power.

First I noticed the remote didn't work, I thought it was a dead battery in the key fob so I unlocked my truck, jumped in and as I turned the key to start nothing happened. The only light that came on was the truck and the lock symbol flashing brightly, I could barely see a small dim battery light and a airbag light.

First I made sure that I had not left any of my lights on, which all of the switches were off so that answered that.

I opened the hood and disconnected the battery to make sure the connections weren't corroded, they were fine so I reconnected and tried again. Unfortunately my voltage tester is dead, so I couldn't read battery voltage. It weird because this battery is less then a few months old, tomorrow I'm going to try and see what happens when I jump the battery. I'm also a big concerned that the alternator went out.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
sounds like something sucked er down to me. how bright were the headlights?

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
sounds like something sucked er down to me. how bright were the headlights?
Apparently brighter than the sun if they sucked the battery down that much. Its been running great until all of a sudden today.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I walked out of work the other day at 10pm to find the very thing you experienced. The parking lot was empty and the wife (she just wanted to get home) was already on the phone for road service. I mean we pay for it.. she was gonna use it.

Dude showed up in a damn smart car... lmao

He broke out a boost box and got me started. I drove home with my voltmeter at 14v... about an hour... pulled in the driveway and shut it off. Tried to start it. Same thing... no click... dim partial indicator lights on the dash.

Next morning... I got out the fluke and checked battery voltage... 9.9 volts. My less then 12 month old battery had lost a cell.

They just don't make batteries like they use to.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah batteries seem to be getting less and less quality and more and more money. We put new batteries in every camper sold and it used to be we had a bad new battery about once a year, now this year we have replaced 4-5 because batteries are just junk. These were interstate batteries too. Finally got switched to Napa batteries and we are having less issues but still had one or two bad new ones. Hopefully your saved your receipt for the battery. Anymore I just go to Milliron and buy a used battery. Bought one for my truck that was 2 years old for $35. Would have been $25 if I had a core but I wanted to keep my old battery because it still worked for a jump battery.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
At my night job we have more batteries age out (18 months from the date sticker) than we see come back failed in the warranty period. And my store sells a lot of batteries.

I buy the out of date units for a steep discount, and sometimes I will even go through the core pallet with the tester and if one tests good I'll snatch it.

I have bought three optima blue tops for $50 a piece, and gotten a new 650 amp 65 series brand new for an old one (it was literally in for a day and the guy decided he wanted the AGM instead, so turned his brand new battery in as a core. I threw one of my old batteries on the pallet and took that one), and bought another 850 amp 65 series for $20, still tested good. Also got a free 750 amp AGM for the Mustang.

A few years back Ford was having serious issues with their batteries. We shot our warranty number through the roof because almost every new car that came in the battery tested bad right off the truck, so we were replacing them. And that was with Ford's tester.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
New used to mean "tested and working"
New now means "YOU test it and we will replace it if it stops working"

Quality control costs alot(labor cost) and "we" don't want to pay alot
So we made our bed and now we get the bad dreams that come with it, lol :)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah batteries seem to be getting less and less quality and more and more money. We put new batteries in every camper sold and it used to be we had a bad new battery about once a year, now this year we have replaced 4-5 because batteries are just junk. These were interstate batteries too. Finally got switched to Napa batteries and we are having less issues but still had one or two bad new ones. Hopefully your saved your receipt for the battery. Anymore I just go to Milliron and buy a used battery. Bought one for my truck that was 2 years old for $35. Would have been $25 if I had a core but I wanted to keep my old battery because it still worked for a jump battery.
As an Interstate dealer we have very few warranties.

Most of ours are farm equipment and trucks though, I don't think I have ever even sold one for a camper.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Interstate batteries business model makes it a no brainer for a small business to sell batteries. Does it make them the best batteries... probably not. I was also an interstate battery dealer and don't remember ever having a warranty claim. I didn't really much volume though.

I took my battery out of my 94 to get the 06 up and running. I haven't even went back for the warranty as of today.

What does everyone think the best bag for our dollar when batteries are concerned?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
What does everyone think the best bag for our dollar when batteries are concerned?
Shop around for price. As far as the retail chains go 90% of those batteries are Johnson Controls with the store's name on them.

Don't buy at Wal-Mart.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
The 50 dollar Wal-Mart batteries are just fine for me. 1 year warranty. For 50 bucks, anything over a year is a plus. Bought one 3 years ago, still works fine.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
So yeah, it was a Walmart battery. Turns out it just died. But it was in warranty so they replaced it. I remember they were having issues with those batteries, and they are made cheaply in Mexico. I'm gonna replace it with an optima sooner or later.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The 50 dollar Wal-Mart batteries are just fine for me. 1 year warranty. For 50 bucks, anything over a year is a plus. Bought one 3 years ago, still works fine.
Sounds like you bought the exception oppose to the rule when batteries are concerned. Let me know how you feel when the little dude shows up in his smart car to rescue you... beep beep. I guess at that moment if he showed up in a clown suit riding a unicycle... I would have been happy to see him... but I would like to avoid that situation.

I'm gonna try to find a better option in a battery... I'll probably end up with a boost pack that goes with me in my travels also.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals