• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No power under full throttle

Fordmonsta

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a 99 extended cab 4x4 auto with the ohv 4.0. It runs good under normal driving conditions, when you floor it, it just gives up. I mean it gains speed but real slow, it runs better at half throttle than on the floor. When I bought the truck it wouldn't rev even in neutral. So I pulled the 2 rear cats off and they were all busted up so I gutted those. At the same time I replaced all 3 02 sensors along with to and crank sensor. I heard some rattling from under the truck today so I gutted the other 2 cats on the y pipe.it still runs the same, no check engine light. Any help is appreciated

Fordmonsta

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So I hooked up a fuel gauge this morning and found pressure dropped from 60psi at idle to about 45 wide open. Also hooked up our big scanner at work to view live data. It showed a tps update rate way out of range first off. Secondly I looked at ignition timing. It started out 27-28 degrees at idle and as you ease into it itll ramp to about 32 at half throttle, after half throttle it drops to about 12 degrees. Are these 2 things related?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would certainly put on a new fuel filter if you haven't already

The 45psi is a concern
In 1999 both the fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulator are on the same assembly in the gas tank, if either is failing then you will get the pressure drop on high demand(full throttle)

At wide open throttle computer doesn't use O2 sensors at all, just opens injectors for max power

Spark advance is less when fuel mix is richer, accelerating, but 12deg sound like too little advance, that would be a PCM(computer) issue in a 1999 Ranger

On OBD2 live data you should see TPS at 16-19% throttle closed
Then 90-93% throttle wide open
TPS is a 5volt sensor, expected voltage throttle closed is just under 1volt, so not quite 20% of 5volts
Wide open voltage is 4.5v or more, so 90%+, but never 100% that would mean something is wrong

I would use a vacuum gauge to test engine
18-20" is expected at idle
Raise RPMs up to 2,500(approx.) and hold, should drop then climb back up and stay steady, it is slowly dropping the longer you hold it, then you STILL have exhaust blockage(muffler?)

Check your air delivery system, i.e. air filter and box

Also there is an RPM limiter on all fuel injection computers, not a Ford thing
Usually its set for 3,000rpms
So try run in say 2nd gear up passed 3,000rpm to se if you have the same issue, so not a "throttle" issue its an RPM issue
Limiters are engage when trans is in Neutral or Speed is below 5mph

Fordmonsta

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I've installed new air filter fuel filter and maf assembly. Also installed a new muffler, tps, crank sensor and cam sync. Didnt replace all at once just one at a time to see if there was any change. I also put new 02 sensors on but they were some cheapo ones off rock auto. I'm kinda baffled

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals