• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No Power in My Ranger, Exhaust Tips

Mikeroewave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 6 Cylinder
Transmission
Manual
Hello i have 2003 ford ranger 4.0 6 cylinder 5 speed. i recently put a brand new crate motor in it, and it seems like there is not as much power as the old motor. could this just be a simple exhaust leak i have the factory exhaust. I never noticed it when i got the new motor because i did not beat on it. And I was also wondering if there is an easy way to make my truck sound mean, but still keep good gas mileage.
Thanks Mike.

Mikeroewave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 6 Cylinder
Transmission
Manual
I also run a cold air (K&N) intake on it everything else is pretty much stock.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Throw on a Flowmaster Delta 40 and call it a day. Regarding power, you're pretty much stuck. If you are ambitious, there are supercharger kits available online for your motor. Do a Google search.

Mikeroewave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 6 Cylinder
Transmission
Manual
I can barley spin the tires could it be a vacum leak?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What gears are in the rear axle?

If you look on the drivers door sticker it will have an AXLE code number, my '94 w/4.0l is an R6 axle, so L/S(limited/slip) 8.8", 3.73 gearing
Gearing doesn't give you more power but it changes when you feel the power, lower RPM or higher RPM.
Spin the tires all day long but with top speed of 45mph, lol

You can see the code numbers here:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

Vacuum leak would show itself as a high idle when warm and often a pinging noise from a too lean mixture, does it do that?

Power and MPG are on opposite side of the same coin, the fuel coin.
A gallon of gas, regular or premium, has a fixed amount of energy, nothing can change that.
To get more power from an engine is easy, burn more gas, that's pretty much what all power add-ons are about, even your cold air intake.
The cooler the air the denser it is so more fuel can be added, MPG goes down but that is the point of adding a cold air intake.
They don't really work that well, at least not better than stock intake so MPG won't suffer that much, but they can "sound" better.

Turbo-chargers, super-chargers, higher compression, bigger cams, all have that one thing in common, burning more fuel per stroke, power goes up, MPG goes down, pesky laws of physics, lol.

Last edited:

Mikeroewave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 6 Cylinder
Transmission
Manual
im saying i had more power in my old motor. i could spin the tires till 3rd gear. now when i mat it and pop the clutch it go for mabey 2 sec then bogs down. i get 15 avg mpg

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
What gears are in the rear axle?

If you look on the drivers door sticker it will have an AXLE code number, my '94 w/4.0l is an R6 axle, so L/S(limited/slip) 8.8", 3.73 gearing
Gearing doesn't give you more power but it changes when you feel the power, lower RPM or higher RPM.
Spin the tires all day long but with top speed of 45mph, lol

You can see the code numbers here:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

Vacuum leak would show itself as a high idle when warm and often a pinging noise from a too lean mixture, does it do that?

Power and MPG are on opposite side of the same coin, the fuel coin.
A gallon of gas, regular or premium, has a fixed amount of energy, nothing can change that.
To get more power from an engine is easy, burn more gas, that's pretty much what all power add-ons are about, even your cold air intake.
The cooler the air the denser it is so more fuel can be added, MPG goes down but that is the point of adding a cold air intake.
They don't really work that well, at least not better than stock intake so MPG won't suffer that much, but they can "sound" better.

Turbo-chargers, super-chargers, higher compression, bigger cams, all have that one thing in common, burning more fuel per stroke, power goes up, MPG goes down, pesky laws of physics, lol.

Ron, I think you are going more in-depth with the axles than the OP originally wants.

Really, it could be anything. You actually went to Ford and bought a new crate motor of a 4.0L? Sounds like a lot of money. Who did the install? How did you wire it? Were any shortcuts made? Any wires crossed or left out?

What is your fuel pressure, compression, or spark plug gap? We need more info to properly diagnose what COULD be your problem out of a multitude of situations from across the Internet.

Your truck doesn't have power. Spinning tires. 3rd gear. This really isn't helpful information from you.

:beer:

Last edited:

Mikeroewave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 6 Cylinder
Transmission
Manual
ford did the swap i have no clue how to even check any of the pressures.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, maybe you are right.

I had a set of tires like that, would spin every time I got on it.......had to get new tires :) just joking

Mikeroewave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 6 Cylinder
Transmission
Manual
when i try to get on it i get nothing i can barley accelerate fast enought to get onto the highway sometimes

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
This thread just begs me to ask the question.... if the other motor was such a bad ass, why did you get a new motor installed?

Mikeroewave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 6 Cylinder
Transmission
Manual
time chain went and its a duel overhead cam. it would have been 4200$ to fix.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Makes sense. How many miles are on the new motor? I assume you told the dealer it doesn't run right?

Posting whilst sitting upon the throne.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have you taken it back to the installer(Ford) and asked them about the lack of acceleration?

Mikeroewave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 6 Cylinder
Transmission
Manual
not yet i have had 6 different problems. with them not putting the motor in right. i got half my money back had an oil leak. then a gas leak. then could shift cause the clutch wasnt right. im just wondering if it could be something little like a EGR sensor or something causing to or not enough air.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals