• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No Power in My Ranger, Exhaust Tips

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Get a real time OBDII scanner and watch engine data, you can rent them or buy them.

They even have bluetooth units now that plug into the OBDII port and send the info to your smart phone, they start at about $15, not sure how much info they show through.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
not yet i have had 6 different problems. with them not putting the motor in right. i got half my money back had an oil leak. then a gas leak. then could shift cause the clutch wasnt right. im just wondering if it could be something little like a EGR sensor or something causing to or not enough air.
Geez.... This backs up my saying that just because it's the dealer, doesn't mean they are better. Those things you've eluded to could play a factor. Without getting us some numbers on fuel pressure and such, I'm afraid you are bound.

To add to Ron's remarks about an OBD-II scanner, I use Torque Pro for my app, and it shows quite a bit of data.

Mikeroewave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 6 Cylinder
Transmission
Manual
okay ill try it here soon.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
this could be a case of the dreaded 4.0l throttle-cable. sometimes the throttle cables on 4.0 trucks don't actually open the throttle all the way when the pedal is on the floor.

if you search "throttle-cable zip-tie mod" you will see what I mean.

maybe in the changing of engines the cable got monkeyed with and is now the culprit,

just trying to suggest things that haven't already been suggested here

*edit, I pulled some random link I found http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63963&highlight=throttle+cable+zip+tie

Last edited:

Mikeroewave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 6 Cylinder
Transmission
Manual
chnaged the fuel filter now i have more power it just take a couples seconds to start when i turn the key

firebomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
engine lack power:

1)fault in the fuel or electrical systems. chapters (4 and 5)
2)faulty or incorrectly gaped plugs. chapter (1)
3)faulty coils. chapter (5)
4)breaks binding. chapter (1)
5)auto trans fluid level incorrect. chapter (1)
6) clutch slipping. chapter (8)
7) impurity in fuel or fuel filter clogged. chapter (1)
8)emission control system not function properly chapter (6)
9)use of substandard fuel, fill tank with proper octane fuel.
10) low or uneven cylinder compression test with a compression pressure tester. this will detect leaks, bad valve, and blown head gaskets. chapter (2)

hard to start when cold:
read #1 above and battery discharged or faulty #1 a above in the engine lack power is fault in fuel or electrical systems...

look at the above and test every part you can till it run better once running better the below statement will help out with more power!

also to up grade make it sound "meaner" i would up grade the catalytic converter like to a magnaflow high flow cat and a delta 40 flow master can. the old cat is a air restriction and opening up flow will make it louder. you could break the cat out but not sure what legal in your state and this up grade could be fun for you ? also add a chip and a colder running t-stat will help too the reason for the colder t stat is chip tent to run real lean on fuel while advancing spark and it over heat the engine a tad so run a colder t stat if this happens. i am running ever thing butt headers on mine basically... and that's next...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals