• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

NO, not MAACO! Need Paint&Body recommends in Ft Laud, FL area...?

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Time to put some resources into my trusty steed... only 78k original miles on a '99?... oh yeah, she's worth preserving.

But, in my many decades on Terra, I've never known a single soul who was smiling and using clean language after picking up a vehicle from MAACO... but damn, they do spend on advertising. All the first-hand recommendations from my classic car buds turn out to be retired, drunk, never return calls, or all of the above...

... so, who do YOU know is good in the Ft. Laud/Pompano Beach area?

Thanks in advance.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I can find out who my father in law used to repaint his MR2. I haven’t seen it, but supposedly they did a “very good” job. (And I can tell you my “Karen” mother in law wouldn’t accept a bad job.)He’s on the other side of the state in Naples.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
The thing about Maaco is, being corporate.. They care about customer service.

If something isn't "up to snuff" with the work they did, they'll do it over and over and over again until your happy with it. Corporate really pressures individual branches to make their customers happy.

Someone I knew went with their 500$ package, and that was his experience. Had panels resprayed 2 or 3 times because of runs. Eventually all was well.

One thing that always comes up though, is the reccomendation that you do your own prep work when using Maaco.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Whomever I go with, I'll "audition" them with my perfectly flat Gemtop GT Classic decklid... if they can't get that right, I won't let them near the complex curves of my door and quarter panel...

PS: Thanks snoranger, but Naples a bit far to trek for Ye Olde Ranger

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
I spent a few years shooting paint. Maaco's quarterly specail, used to be $399, now $599 isn't bad if the "optional" clearcoat service for $259 extra is added.

The other item to consider is that their "specail" includes 2 hours of body work. Well...that is just enough time to do a chemical etching, so, do the body work and scuff sanding 1st, yourself. Then, their deal is HARD to beat vs $5k and up for decent paint and labor.

If you really want a great, cheap job, it doesn't come that way but the painters at The Maaco are good. Bring them the good stuff, like your colors in Dupont Emron and pay for the specail price job. Dupont Emron, even without clear is some serious BADASK paint!!! and your welcome, because I wouldn't know that without years of Specailized training, a give a crap attitude and an obcesive need for improvement.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Or just call “Gator Pete’s auto painting, hair salon and kitchen supplies” on Lakeland Rd, about 27.354 miles outside of town.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
@gaz thanks for the inside skinny on MAACO... as far as "chemical etching", is that something stronger than "reducer"?... I assume that whatever it is, it helps the new paint adhere to the old...? Anyway, not really looking forward to doing my own Bondo work--could get ugly, with a lot flat spots where there should be smooth curves, lol.

RE: DuPont Imron, IIRC that's some seriously spendy aircraft paint... Seems the FoMoCo factory paint lasted almost 20 years, with hardly any waxing, so probably just go with that, matching color-code, etc... may just have the hood and roof (sun-damaged) painted... oh yeah, THAT will work (not). Some peeps just coat the whole truck with bedliner, but that's not cheap, and I bet it's hot as HELL here in Duh Sunbelt...

... perhaps a few rattlecans, and I'll re-create one of those radical angular camoflauge schemes the US Navy used on large ships in WW2... always a hit with the ladies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals