• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

no longer an advocate of ABS (carnage pics)

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
I used to be "all for" having ABS....and for that matter i still think its a good thing for most people....but i no longer trust them (sorry, co-workers tiny cell phone pics):

the first pic is a roll-around tool cart...or thats what it used to be. the second is the hood of an '07 'stang.

pulled the car into my stall...just another day at the office. i was idling in drive. brushed the brake pedal with my foot to come to a nice smooth stop, but the pedal was rock hard and nothing happened. i panicked and stood on the pedal, i could feel the ABS pulsing but the car didnt slow down at all. all of this happened within about 10 feet, i didnt have time to shift into neutral or try the parking brake before the cart stopped me.

large gouges out of the plastic bumper and drivers side headlight...both will need replacing along with the hood work. overall, not a very good way to start my day :mad:

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I know ABS is downright scary and dangerous on the trail, which is why I gutted it from the Explorer.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Glad no one was hurt. Bet you got yelled at too?

So what was the car in for origionally?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the service manager doesnt work saturdays, but wants to "talk" to me on monday, so no yelling for now.

the car was in for a CEL, but i got pulled from it before i could hook the IDS up (highly doubtful it has anything to do with why the ABS locked up on me).

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ABS- ANTI BRAKE SYSTEM

i will never own a vehicle with abs, it is just scary becuase lots of time when the brakes lock up u will stop faster then u will with abs anyways.....

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
ABS- ANTI BRAKE SYSTEM

i will never own a vehicle with abs, it is just scary becuase lots of time when the brakes lock up u will stop faster then u will with abs anyways.....

Yes, when you are on gravel, deep snow, and in mud.

And then for "normal" conditions ABS does not stop much faster. But it does allow you to mash on the brakes and still steer. I find the net effect of this dangerous however. My Ford Focus (DD) has ABS and it has gotten me in the habbit of just mashing on the brakes. Then, when I hop into my Explorer and am driving it on the road in slippery conditions, I mash on the brakes out of habbit and it does not work nearly as well...

As far as RABS on the B2 and Explorer, I am a fan of that as long as the truck is not used for offroading. The short wheelbase makes it awefully easy to lock up the back and have it kick out, and you still have a non-ABS front.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, when you are on gravel, deep snow, and in mud.

And then for "normal" conditions ABS does not stop much faster. But it does allow you to mash on the brakes and still steer. I find the net effect of this dangerous however. My Ford Focus (DD) has ABS and it has gotten me in the habbit of just mashing on the brakes. Then, when I hop into my Explorer and am driving it on the road in slippery conditions, I mash on the brakes out of habbit and it does not work nearly as well...

As far as RABS on the B2 and Explorer, I am a fan of that as long as the truck is not used for offroading. The short wheelbase makes it awefully easy to lock up the back and have it kick out, and you still have a non-ABS front.
i like if i need to slam on the brakes when im about to get into a accident to leave skidmarks so the cops get a idea of what happened, with abs there are no such skid marks......

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry that happened to you.

It's good though, except it screw with people's natural instincts. The pedal shake makes people lift off the brake and increases the stopping distance. Our '05 Pilot doesn't have pedal shake but it still feels weird and I can't explain why.

I've never disconnect ABS. My wife worked on ABS at Delphi I believe, and did work at the GM proving ground, I forgot the name. She drove cars with and without over surfaces that vary from side to side and on gravel etc. She believes in antilock brakes but thinks drivers training should make you aware of it's abilities and weaknesses. You have to believe that when you slam on the brakes on a dry road that the brakes are doing a better job than you are. And when you slam them on while on gravel or snow, you might be best to let off a bit. There's been no traing for that when we've bought new cars. The technology is a huge bonus, but it is technology that a driver needs to think about.

I would not disable it.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry that happened to you.

It's good though, except it screw with people's natural instincts. The pedal shake makes people lift off the brake and increases the stopping distance. Our '05 Pilot doesn't have pedal shake but it still feels weird and I can't explain why.

I've never disconnect ABS. My wife worked on ABS at Delphi I believe, and did work at the GM proving ground, I forgot the name. She drove cars with and without over surfaces that vary from side to side and on gravel etc. She believes in antilock brakes but thinks drivers training should make you aware of it's abilities and weaknesses. You have to believe that when you slam on the brakes on a dry road that the brakes are doing a better job than you are. And when you slam them on while on gravel or snow, you might be best to let off a bit. There's been no traing for that when we've bought new cars. The technology is a huge bonus, but it is technology that a driver needs to think about.

I would not disable it.
i agree....but that doesnt change my feeling on abs

rangernotlifted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jetta,explorer,
Transmission
Manual
BS, abs has made it so i didnt pile drive the back of a charger cop before, Those cops spring from no where. and ive had to put the ranger into some pretty deep ditches, because thos goddamn skidding brakes, And also ive seen some pretty cool lookin abs marks left on the ground

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
BS, abs has made it so i didnt pile drive the back of a charger cop before, Those cops spring from no where. and ive had to put the ranger into some pretty deep ditches, because thos goddamn skidding brakes, And also ive seen some pretty cool lookin abs marks left on the ground
only early abs would actually leave marks in quick intervals, now on newer vehicles it wont leave any marks at all....

rangernotlifted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jetta,explorer,
Transmission
Manual
I still say bs, the sport trac, that we used to own, would make the wheel hop lookin marks, but the abs i was comparing the ranger too was a 95 jetta

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
Idk, my moms '06 Gt Stang the ABS is nice, you just mash the pedal, your in the windshield, the pedal pulses but theres no skid, and the steering still works.

My truck on the other hand, mash the pedal, it pulses and the drivers rear wheel locks up and the rear wants to go sideways, and thats with new rotors and drums.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, some training somewhere along the line would be good. Most people I ask don't even know if their car has ABS or not.

It might be a good idea for them to point out to people at the dealer that a car has ABS, and that the pedal should not be pumped.

They do explain ABS in the manual for my Focus, but I doubt many people read the manual for their cars.

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So what was wrong with the brakes? Did you ever find out?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals