• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

no longer an advocate of ABS (carnage pics)

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
from the sounds of it, abs was doin what abs does

PFC Laird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
352FE
Transmission
Automatic
that sucks dude,...

i just know my 94 ranger stops fine w/o it's abs (the when i replaced the brakes after i bought it the abs sensors were ground down and both front tires)

i never had any problems with getting sideways while braking hard (as in my truck stays pretty straight)

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
makes me wonder about whose truck gets sideways when braking about wether or not there rear brakes are even workin

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
wow that sucks reminds when one of the old jaguar techs i worked with had that happen to him only it was alot worse smashed his snap on tool box pretty bad and smashed the car pretty good too

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
sunday and monday are my days off, so i wont hear anything untill tuesday at the earliest. who knows maybe it was just a fluke.

in case i wasnt clear, the ABS was NOT working properly in this instance. i was idling along and trying to stop on dry concrete. when i stepped on the pedal, the car just kept rolling forward at an idle like i hadnt touched the brakes.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
You sure it was the ABS? If you hit the pedal and it was solid with no travel at all and no notion of stopping I would say there is something else at fault.

In order for ABS to engage the car has to think it is slipping. It takes you, the OP hitting the pedal to even engage the ABS system.

I don't see how the pedal could be rock hard with no brakes at all being caused by ABS.

Please update when you figure out the problem.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
You sure it was the ABS? If you hit the pedal and it was solid with no travel at all and no notion of stopping I would say there is something else at fault.

In order for ABS to engage the car has to think it is slipping. It takes you, the OP hitting the pedal to even engage the ABS system.

I don't see how the pedal could be rock hard with no brakes at all being caused by ABS.

Please update when you figure out the problem.

I was kinda thinkin the same thing, if the ABS fails, the brakes should still work as normal brakes do, they'll just lock up(I had the experience in my GF's Chev Malibu, the ABs was not working, but the brakes worked just fine, they would just lock up if you mashed the pedal)

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Sludge, I'm with you on this.

My mother drives a 96 Blazer. One of the years when we moved to Oklahoma in the summer, the Blazer got into a wreck with no one at fault. What happend is the ABS screwed up and didn't allow brake pressure to be applied. We were doing about 40mph coming to a 4-way stop with no-brakes. It only took 3 seconds and it was over. My mother did pump brakes and slammed them, no results. For the last ditch effort, so took a hard right to avoid a broad side collision with a van. She almost made the turn. Driver side fender smashed into a 70's Chevy pickup. A few months later, GM had an ABS recall and we were reinbursed for the accident. And to date, we still drive the Blazer, but luckily, no more problems. But we are now always cautious about the brakes.

Luckily, my 96 Ranger only has RABS. I prefer it that way.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sounds like the booster wasnt working. in my wifes '07 mustang we had to tow it out of our drive way when my wife parked too far into the wet grass. for some stupid reason, she turned the key off. with out the power brakes she almost slammed into the back of our explorer! almost no brakes at all. i checked it out too on a hill, put it in neutral, turned it off, stood on the brakes and almost did nothing. but when its working the brakes are awesome on that thing. and if you have to pay for that, which you shouldnt! you can get factory take offs for dirt cheap for the s197 mustang.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the ABS module has valves that are fully capable of stopping the pressure you apply at the pedal from reaching the calipers...after all thats how ABS works. i believe (for what reason i dont know yet) this is what happened. i know i didnt not have enough speed to slide the distance that i traveled before wrecking, so the ABS could not have been preventing a skid...not at idle speed on dry pavement.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the ABS module has valves that are fully capable of stopping the pressure you apply at the pedal from reaching the calipers...after all thats how ABS works. i believe (for what reason i dont know yet) this is what happened. i know i didnt not have enough speed to slide the distance that i traveled before wrecking, so the ABS could not have been preventing a skid...not at idle speed on dry pavement.
That valve deal in my dad's GMC conked out one day, it had next to no braking power at a decent speed, but would still stop halfway decent at a low speed.

Since it had never worked anyway and he rarely takes it cross country on the highway he had it bypassed.

lifeissomething

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Rear ABS>skilled driver no abs>unskilled driver ABS> unskilled driver no ABS.

pickup

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I just bought a new '08 Mustang a couple mths ago, was going to disable ABS (did it on my '04 Ranger 4x4, as ABS was HORRIBLE on it) But the Mustang seems to act different, like there is no ABS. So far, its been fine, but.....

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
in case i wasnt clear, the ABS was NOT working properly in this instance. i was idling along and trying to stop on dry concrete. when i stepped on the pedal, the car just kept rolling forward at an idle like i hadnt touched the brakes.
Yeah, sounds like something else is wrong with the brakes.
The tires on my new Sport Trac are not worth crap in the snow and the ABS got a real workout this past winter.
One night during a snowstorm the wife and I went to a restaurant. I turn into the parking lot (unplowed), touch the brakes, the ABS kicks in and we're heading straight for the door with no sign of slowing down.
The Wife: "Are we going to hit the door?"
Me, very calmly with foot on the brake: "I don't know." :dunno:
The front tires came to rest against the sidewalk.
I don't blame the ABS. The tires suck.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ya ive had some fun times on ice and snow in various vehicles (learning to drive in alaska will do that for you :derisive:). i drove a freight truck (86 e-350 with a 20' box) for a number of years there and my scedual had me up before the city's plow trucks. busting through the nights cumulative snow and big drifts in the dark in a 2wd truck loaded with 3,000lbs+ of frieght was an adventure. i could understand the ABS taking away most or all of the braking from the tires on ice with bad tires....but on dry concrete with decent shoes :icon_confused:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals