• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No lifters, but that's what it sounds like?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
1997 2.3, and it sounds like it has bad lifters. What else could it be?
.....sounds like a bottom end lifters not pumping up.
Anybody heard similar?

Thanks!
Ed

I haven't put a tube on it yet to localize the noise, but will sometime today

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
there are a couple things that can do that on a 2.3, it's fairly common for the oil pickup screen to be plugged with RTV that the factory uses to seal the oil pan, which causes low oil pressure. the other thing that can do that is worn out lash adjusters, they are only like $8 a piece and aren't too hard to change once the valve cover is off.
...ok, somebody answered this in another thread......:shok:

But how bad is it? Will it destroy my engine in no time?

Oil preasure reads normal. Only makes the noise at idle.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
if you're going off the stock gage anything above about 5psi and it shows normal. if its just at idle it shouldn't be too bad

seriously once the valve cover is off all you need is a pry bar or two to compress the valve springs enough to get the rockers off then the lash adjusters just lift out. If you want, I think I have a few usable ones left from when I swapped all of mine...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I put a listening tube to everywhere and couldn't localize the sound anywhere. I finally crawled underneath and it sounds more like it's at the bottom end, but I know what spinning a main sounds like and what a rod knock sounds like, it's neither.

At around 16-1800rpms it goes away and after warming up completely is gets much quieter. I had a non-mechanic friend drop by and he could barely hear it. ...sounds a bit like a very hot (temp) V8 with radiator gurgling, or maybe a diesel, but it goes away. Almost sounds near the throwout berring. I couldn't tell and it doesn't change when enguaging the clutch either.

139,000 miles maybe?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I think this is my problem even though my Ranger is a '97. I don't think Ford fixed it very well..or thuroughly.

Rod Knock Sound On 1985-87
Ford 2.3L D (143 CID), 2.8L (171 CID) And 2.9L (177 CID) Engines

Ford Motor Company engineers advise that a rattling noise in the clutch area may be misdiagnosed as an engine rod knock. The engines listed above are found in the Ford Ranger, Bronco II and Aerostar vehicles built in 1985-87.

This noise occurs where the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder is installed in the clutch housing and can be corrected without pulling the engine or transmission. a two piece shim packet can be installed between the clutch housing and the slave cylinder as indicated in Figure 1 below. Install the shims with contact
cement by simply reaching around the clutch housing to where the slave cylinder line enters the transmission.

the shim pack is available from Ford Motor Company under part #E5TZ-7C528-A and is called Shim-Slave Cylinder.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals