• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No fuel pressure, can hear fuel pump engage

increasinglyhumbled

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I want to fiddle with the fuel filter, but have gotten confused on this model. Where the inline filter should be, it looks more like an inline fuel pump. Is the only filter on this model the canister type further down the rail?

What other things should I be looking at?

Die.Fledermaus

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
0"
Tire Size
215/75-15
If there is a wiring loom feeding it, it is a pump.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There are 4 items in this fuel system on the feed side.

1) In-tank pump, it is in the tank.

2) Fuel reservoir/screener, inline unit next to the transfer case. It is not a filter.

3) High-pressure rail pump. It is (usually) behind a shield and almost perfectly in line with the driver's seat.

4) Fuel filter, inline, where the frame begins to run upward again at the front. It may also be behind a shield that has two studs that face upward through the frame. If you open the hood and look down at the frame right below the brake master cylinder you should be able to find your filter.

Now, if you have zero fuel pressure but hear a pump engage with a hollow buzz the high pressure pump is dead. If you have zero pressure and hear a pump engage with an electric buzz the rail pump is working but running dry.

I would unhook the rear lines at the strainer and point them at a drain pan and turn the key on.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My bet is that the pump in the tank is dead. It is almost silent so if you can hear one turn on at all, the high pressure one is likely OK.

If this vehicle has been sitting for a while and has any stale gas in it, you should also pull the tank and see if the rubber hose that connects the fuel pump to the sending unit is still intact. My experience is that these come in contact with stale gas and turn into goo almost immediately, which results in zero fuel pressure.

LucianaHardin

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If there is a wiring loom feeding it, it is a pump.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals