• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No Egr valve

Jack99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
I have 99 ford ranger xlt 4.0 v6 mfi ohv. It has no egr, no tubes, wiring, the plenum has no port for egr tube connection, every thing appears to be stock. I was hoping to find someone else with same model. I would like discuss ideas with anyone.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
A lot of years of the OHV 4.0 didn't have EGR is they didn't have California emissions. What ideas are you wanting to discuss?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, EGR was an added expense to car makers so they didn't add it unless the state or federal emission's standards that year required it

EGR allows for better spark advance and less possiblity of pinging/knocking using regular gas(87 octane)

I would never delete an EGR system, but I would also not add one, they are fairly neutral in that respect

Jack99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
A lot of years of the OHV 4.0 didn't have EGR is they didn't have California emissions. What ideas are you wanting to discuss?
My ranger has rough idle girst 5 seconds of cold start, when it get tonormal temp it runs great.
I have new plugs,wires, icv, purge valve, cleaned maf, air temp sensor, thorttle body, fuel filter, put seafoam in gas tank. Not sure what todo next.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My ranger has rough idle girst 5 seconds of cold start, when it get tonormal temp it runs great.
I have new plugs,wires, icv, purge valve, cleaned maf, air temp sensor, thorttle body, fuel filter, put seafoam in gas tank. Not sure what todo next.
Not EGR related

You don't mention the ECT(engine coolant temp) Sensor, it tells the computer when to CHOKE the engine because it is COLD
If cold engine is not choked ir can't run well until it warms up a bit, 3 to 5 minutes

This is not related to the temp gauge on the dash, that used a 12volts SENDER
ECT sensor is 5volts and is only used by the computer

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well since any EGR flow at idle will likely stall a gas engine, and at the very least make it run rough, adding EGR will not solve you idle issues. In fact the Geo Trackers had a poorly designed EGR valve that could hang open and would cause a no-start.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals