• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No compression in 4.0 SOHC

Sharky146

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
OK, I just picked up the 2008 4.0 from the mustang for $800. While driving home I had a thought. So, I own a few Rangers. I was originally planning to put this engine in 2001 2WD Ranger. One of my other Rangers is a 2006 four-wheel-drive with 203,000 miles. I plan to sell the 2WD , Ranger and I plan to keep the 4WD ranger. Will there be any issue putting this mustang engine into the four-wheel-drive truck? It’s only got 85,000 miles on it and appears to be in great shape, so I would hate to lose it when I sell the 2WD truck (it’s just a flip). I would just put the 203,000 mile motor into the 2WD truck. I know the four-wheel-drive 4.0 motors have a balance shaft. Is this required for a four-wheel-drive truck? Or,, will the mustang engine be fine for the 4WD truck? I know that they are lower torque and higher horsepower motors than what came of the trucks. I do plan to put 33 inch tires on the truck also. Not sure if that matters. I’d appreciate your thoughts on the matter. Thanks.

Sharky146

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
OK, I just picked up the 2008 4.0 from the mustang for $800. While driving home I had a thought. So, I own a few Rangers. I was originally planning to put this engine in 2001 2WD Ranger. One of my other Rangers is a 2006 four-wheel-drive with 203,000 miles. I plan to sell the 2WD , Ranger and I plan to keep the 4WD ranger. Will there be any issue putting this mustang engine into the four-wheel-drive truck? It’s only got 85,000 miles on it and appears to be in great shape, so I would hate to lose it when I sell the 2WD truck (it’s just a flip). I would just put the 203,000 mile motor into the 2WD truck. I know the four-wheel-drive 4.0 motors have a balance shaft. Is this required for a four-wheel-drive truck? Or,, will the mustang engine be fine for the 4WD truck? I know that they are lower torque and higher horsepower motors than what came of the trucks. I do plan to put 33 inch tires on the truck also. Not sure if that matters. I’d appreciate your thoughts on the matter. Thanks.
Like the headliner?

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You probably do not have a balancer shaft in the 2006 Ranger 4.0l 4x4, Ford stopped using them
It was there because of Live Axle, engineers thought the always rotating front drive shaft might cause a vibration in the 4.0l SOHC vehicles, it didn't. so wasn't used after 2004/5 I think
But in any case no its not an issue one way or the other

So go ahead and swap away :)

The 33" tires will lower axle ratios quite a bit, but torque difference in engines won't hurt that too much
You should swap front and rear axles to 4.56 when funds permit, hoping you have 4.10 now, lol

You can use this to check best ratio after tire diameter change: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Gear_Tire_RatioChange.shtml

Last edited:

Sharky146

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
That’s great news RonD. I do have 4.10 gear now. Thanks for the info!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals