• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No clutch release after replacing disc

jmabarone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I need some help. I can't TL;DR this one, so sorry from the get go. Yes, I have read the thread about bleeding and tried the method by Perfection Clutch and the hose over the bleeder to the reservoir. I cross posted, so please excuse if I repeat myself.

Here is where my truck stands: in the carport in my wife's spot on jack stands. She's not pleased with my lack of progress and is saying bad words like "take it to a mechanic"...

Truck has ~250k miles. Spring in clutch disc broke. No damage to flywheel or pressure plate. Replaced the disc and the slave cylinder since I had the transmission down. I bled the clutch using the "hose from the bleeder to the M/C reservoir" method because there are several loops and high spots in the Ranger system. Pedal would go to the floor except for the last ~1" of travel and clutch would not release.

Next, I pulled the M/C and bench bled it and had a firm pedal prior to hooking it up to the slave cylinder. I bled the system again using the above method. No change to travel and clutch engagement. I also tried gravity bleeding after a good bench bleed on the M/C and it made no difference. I had my wife work the pedal so I could try manually bleeding and it also made no difference.

Next, I pulled the transmission to check 2 things. I thought I might have put the clutch disc on backwards. Checked that and it was installed correctly. Then, I put the old slave cylinder back on because it was working and I thought I may have just gotten a bad part. When I put it back together, I bench bled the M/C again and had a good firm pedal before connecting to the slave cylinder. Again, exact same issues.

So tell me what I am missing... I would rather not just throw a new M/C at it but that's the only other thing I have to yet to replace. As a last resort, I am going to try to manually bleed it again to see if that makes a difference but I really don't expect any different results.

Thanks in advance!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Did you install a new pressure plate, or did you reuse the old one?

jmabarone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Reused old pressure plate. Might be 2 years old.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If it was a SAC(self adjusting) pressure plate then you will need to go back in and reset it or replace it

Regular pressure plate looks like this: https://content.speedwaymotors.com/ProductImages/91015637_L_0b6f91cd-8c82-478f-8322-54c9bdd2c797.jpg

SAC pressure plate looks like this: https://cdn.nexternal.com/uuc/images/CLUTCH_LUK_SAC.jpg

SAC has coil springs around the release forks, these springs need to be reset if you put in a new(thicker) clutch disc
The SAC pressure plate moves closer to flywheel as clutch disc wears down, so clutch pedal engage/disengage stays at the same place in pedal travel

With regular pressure plate a new clutch disc won't disengage until pedal is at the floor, then as disc wears out disc disegages higher and higher in pedal travel

jmabarone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, I guess this will be cheaper than buying a new master cylinder.

So should I put the new slave cylinder back in when I pull the transmission? I already have it but the other one was functioning correctly.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, I guess this will be cheaper than buying a new master cylinder.

So should I put the new slave cylinder back in when I pull the transmission? I already have it but the other one was functioning correctly.
The slave choice is up to you. If the old slave was more than a few years old I'd replace it. If it was installed at the same time as the pressure plate it is probably safe to reuse it.

Resetting the pressure plate is not hard, it just needs to be placed in a press and have the fingers pressed down until it resets.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do you remember if you have a Regular or SAC pressure plate?

Rangers came with both types and people often replaced them with either type, regular being cheaper so more common choice, lol

If its a regular pressure plate then no need to pull trans again, unless it is a slave issue

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals