• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No A/C?

PNW Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So I'm one of the few Ranger owners who has a used Ranger where the guy who bought it off the lot didn't want to pay for air conditioning! 1998 Ranger XT. 3.0L V6. Automatic transmission.

9 months out of the year in Seattle, WA - no problem! But what about those 3 summer months? Can I retrofit this otherwise great Ranger with some kind of air conditioning to make those summer more bearable?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
You could add a factory system

Or maybe look into companies like vintage air.

@19Walt93 has a vintage air system.

maybe he can chime in.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, you can add AC, its a separate system in all vehicles, electrically it's an ON/OFF switch in the cab

You will need the engine bay parts of a Ranger AC system, Compressor/bracket must be from/for a 3.0l engine the rest of the parts are the same on all Rangers in 1998
1998 was when AC Control was added to the PCM(computer) and the WOT relay was no longer used, but was replaced with an AC Clutch relay

1998 is probably wired for AC, "probably", in 1998 AC was optional on all models, except "Fleet", and if its an option its just easier to include the wires in the main harness vs trying to add them later

This article is a full on factory AC Conversion: https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-submition-how-to-install-oem-a-c-from-scratch.160760/
Very detailed

The swapping out of the Blower housing to AC housing probably takes the most time

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
It actually helps with defogging the windows when it rains... so you'll use it 10 months out of the year in Seattle.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
My truck had no HVAC system at all so I got a Vintage Air heat/defrost/a-c system. The heat and a/c work OK, the defrost function is lousy because the unit uses recirculated air, so I called them. They're in Texas and couldn't imagine why I'd want to pull outside air into my truck. If you have a functional heater and defroster, they sell an underdash a/c unit that looks like something you'd see in a mid 60's car.
evap in place.JPG

PNW Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ron:
Thanks for the link. What I like about TRS is the wealth of knowledge. Adding an A/C system to a Ranger has been done before, and here is a recipe book.

PNW Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It actually helps with defogging the windows when it rains... so you'll use it 10 months out of the year in Seattle.
Yes, that is true. It's been a wet and cold spring here in Seattle. Heat and defrost works great on my Ranger, thankfully.

PNW Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My truck had no HVAC system at all so I got a Vintage Air heat/defrost/a-c system. The heat and a/c work OK, the defrost function is lousy because the unit uses recirculated air, so I called them. They're in Texas and couldn't imagine why I'd want to pull outside air into my truck. If you have a functional heater and defroster, they sell an underdash a/c unit that looks like something you'd see in a mid 60's car.View attachment 75999
Thanks, I've seen these Vintage Air units for sale on eBay, but no instructions on how to install. So I will check out their website.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You would use a Ranger AC bracket and compressor regardless, so you could use a Ranger AC fan belt
Also I would use a Ranger condenser(the part in front of the radiator), just because you will know "it fits"
Why re-invent the wheel

The "vintage" part is the evaporator setup, so blower always blows air thru it FIRST and then passed the heater core and out to the vents
Evaporator Dries the air, summer or winter, which is why its good to have AC compressor working all the time for better defrost

In any case removing the blower non-AC housing and putting in a blower AC housing in the engine bay isn't all that hard, its just wrench work, a pain but just wrench work, lol

And at a wrecking you might find one where the engine has been pulled out so easier to see whats what when you pull it out, so when you get home the non-AC housing will be a snap...............well at least you will know where to look for all the bolts

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I resurrected my AC as per the tech article here. Ordered all the parts off rock auto. Running the converted 410a refrigerant. Worked like a charm.

I will admit my buddy who does HVAC used his vacuum pump, nitrogen tank, and freon valve/gauge thingy to make the magic happen. I just did the wrenching.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@PNW Ranger ,

If I knew that my 94 parts would work for you and that your 98 parts would work for me (referring only to the air box/heater blower end of things, I would give you my entire A/C system. I have two, 1 from an 87 BII, the other just pulled from a 94 EXP (only missing coolant lines).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals