• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No 4 Lo

Elfiero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Looking for advice on my 2000 xlt 4x4. I am just completing my winter resto/ repair. Today I tried the 4wd- 2wd and 4hi seem to function fine but no 4lo no matter what I try. I even tried resting my foot on the brake while it was in neutral. The shifting motor makes a sound like it is trying to go into 4lo. Ideas?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I assume it's an electric transfer case, if so to get 4 low the truck needs to be at a stop, in neutral, with the brake applied or it won't even try to shift. If your stop lights don't work it won't shift to low range.

Elfiero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I am sorry, I wasn’t complete enough in my description. The ignition was on, the truck was not running, so I could listen. I put the shifter in neutral and I moved the dash switch( electronic transfer case) from 2Hi to 4 Hi, and it shifted flawlessly( the 4Hi light illuminated).Then, I applied the brake( brake lights illuminated), the transfer case shifting motor made noise, but the transfer case did not shift into 4 LO. Nor did the 4 LO light illuminate on the dash). I should add that I bought this truck sight unseen last fall and I have been slowly bringing it back to life!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Lets go ahead and start that truck... 4 low does not shift like 4 high. It's changing the gears to the output shaft so it requires more than 2wd to 4 high. Going from 2wd to 4 high is just engaging the transfer case at a 1:1 ratio, nothing else changes.

Truck running, transmission in neutral, brakes applied, shift it to 2wd. Let it engage fully. Then go 4 high let it engage fully, then go 4 low. If that doesn't work then we can move on to something else.

Elfiero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Dirt man, you were right! I backed it out in the driveway and followed the procedure you outlined, and it worked perfectly! I guess this is a different setup than my 2014 F150 had. Thanks again for the advice!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals