• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Next hurdle on my turbo swap

Silver talon84

May 2010 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, now onto my next issue. Swapping the accesories over to the ranger....

I am trying to swap the ranger accessories over to the ranger, and am having some issues. I am keeping the ac in the ranger, and its setup for a serp belt, and the merk has just the old style v-belts. How do I swap it all??? It looks like with a pulley taken off the power steering pump, that will swap into the merk mount. The alt should swap pretty easily, and the waterpump pulley is a straight swap also. It looks like the ac bracket will swap onto the merkur block???? But the crank pulley looks tottaly different, how the heck am I suposed to swap that over???

Any help will be apreciated!!!

Gokussj5okazu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Get the brackets from a 93 Ranger and the crank pulley from a 95ish, something with the CPS gear on the back. They'll bolt up to the TC block, but hold the standard Ranger alt, PS, and A/C.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I just bolted all of the ranger accessories onto the turbo block, the only thing I had to do was drill and tap one hole for the power steering bracket in the block, the boss on the block wasn't optimal (was like .005" low compared to the other bolts, but close enough for me), I didn't reinstall the support bar between the intake and power steering pump bracket but it seems to work fine so far.

the only thing I can't help on is the A/C parts because I didn't have stock A/C

as for the crank pulley, I used the '89 front cover and crank pulley to go DIS on my engine, if you go this way USE THE SHORTER OF THE TWO CRANK BOLTS OR TWO CRANK WASHERS, I made the mistake of bottoming the bolt in the crank and it screwed a few things up...

Silver talon84

May 2010 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, one other quick question. If I wait to swap the crank pulley when the engine is in the car, will it be any harder or impossible to do? I ask because I have everything else ready to physicaly bolt the engine in, except for the crank pulley. It would also give me time to start on changing the wiring harness over to the turbo setup. I dont have the funds to pick up the pulley I need, so thats why Im asking.

Also, and I belive I asked before, but dont remember the answer. But I can use the merkur flywheel, and swap the ranger clutch onto it, and then bolt it to the ranger 5spd, and things will be perfectly kosher right?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
the crank pulley is a slip on fit, if the truck came with a 2.3 why not just keep all the stock accessories? that's what I did and it worked fine. But yes, you can wait until the end for the crank pulley, just MAKE SURE that the crank bolt doesn't bottom out, I didn't and now my crank snout is screwed up and I can't get the timing pulley off the front to fix the leaking front main seal, it broke the crank key and screwed up the first crank pulley hub.

Silver talon84

May 2010 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, it had the 2.3 in it, but the merkur motor has the v-belt pulleys, and the ranger is serpentine. I'm keeping the a/c and powersteering pumps from the ranger, so I have to swap the whole ranger setup to the merkur motor. Ill make sure to use the same bolts that came out of the merk pulleys when I swap it then.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
use the shorter of the two crank bolts and check if it bottoms out...

I'm using the whole accessory setup from the ranger on mine, the 3rd bolt for the power steering pump by the distributor hole wasn't there so I drilled and tapped the block.

Silver talon84

May 2010 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea, I see that I need to drill that on that bracket. And ill check to make sure the bolts arent issues. I was excited to get working on it this weekend, but with mothers day here, that will be a no-go. Wifey would kill me, lol!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals