• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Newer cab on an older frame?

BackwoodsSaint

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Ok, the more that I think about this the more I think it's not possible but I'm way to curious to let it go:
is it possible to stick a newer cab (like, a cab from a 2001-ish ranger) onto an older ranger, such as a 1994? I'm only curious because although I love my truck and have no problems with it, I'd really like to have the rear doors, anyways, a foolish question perhaps, just wonderin

BackwoodsSaint

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
how much would a cab cost? say.. a 2001, no rust or body damage, and an intact interior, manual windows and locks though and how big of a job is a cab transfer like this? what does it involve? what parts would need changing?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Cab cost is what your research will find for your area.
As far as how big a job..... it depends on your definition of big. Some people might call it a cake-walk, others may think it's a job from hell.
I haven't done any body swaps but some things that come to mind are;
electrical - probably have to swap out all of it.
body mounts - rad and front cab mounts should be the same, the rear will be slightly different as they enlarged the cab by a few inches between those years.
exhaust - will have to be obdII compliant so the computer will work properly.
There may be problems with registration as some states don't like to see an older motor in a newer truck.
I'm sure that there is other problems that will crop up but we can give advise as they arise.
Now here are some questions you should answer;
Do you have a place to do this....depending on your skill level it could take a few months.
What tools do you own?
How much money do you have? This won't be cheaper than buying a different truck, especially if you factor in your time.
Are you mechanically inclined? This might be more than you should attempt at this point in your skill level.
Have you done your own brake jobs?
Re and re a transmission and/or a motor?
Front end work?
Are you capable of reading a manual and understanding the electrical section?
Good luck if you attempt,

Richard

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There may be problems with registration as some states don't like to see an older motor in a newer truck.
I think if you jump through enough hoops in the right order you can title it as the older truck though.

I saw an '86 BII at a car show sitting on a '67 Bronco frame and the writeup said it had been inspected and titled as the '67 Bronco. It may have been years ago that was done and it isn't possible anymore. Without a doubt both trucks would have to have a good title.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
IIRC the front 4 body mounts are in the same location

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I think if you jump through enough hoops in the right order you can title it as the older truck though.
That depends on the state. NJ goes by the body... whatever year the body is, then thats what the title is for.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
That depends on the state. NJ goes by the body... whatever year the body is, then thats what the title is for.
here in utah they go by the body too.

unless it is a kit car. what the dmv told me when i did mine was, if the body had a vin at any point, that is what they go off of.

but in the case of things like VW fiberglass beach-bodies or the fiberglass ferarri body panels on a fiero etc. they go off of the running gear.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
94 is OBD1 right? A newer cab is going to be setup for OBD2, so all of the electronics would have to be switched out. It would probably be easier to keep your 94 dash (unless you want to try a full OBD2 conversion), but I don't know if the mounts would be the same as a newer dash, so you might have to fab something up.
If your 94 is extended cab, then the cabs should be the same dimensions, but regular cabs got bigger in 98, and would be a lot more work to switch out.
It would be way more work and money than I would want to spend just to have opening rear doors. But it's not my truck.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
94 is OBD1 right? A newer cab is going to be setup for OBD2, so all of the electronics would have to be switched out. It would probably be easier to keep your 94 dash (unless you want to try a full OBD2 conversion), but I don't know if the mounts would be the same as a newer dash, so you might have to fab something up.
If your 94 is extended cab, then the cabs should be the same dimensions, but regular cabs got bigger in 98, and would be a lot more work to switch out.
It would be way more work and money than I would want to spend just to have opening rear doors. But it's not my truck.
If we're talking about rear doors.... Its safe to assume we're talking about a supercab.

Keeping the '94 dash would be a TON of work... The entire HVAC system is completely different, along with the firewall.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is how it normally is here too, it looked like it was an older build so who knows...

Keeping the '94 dash would be a TON of work... The entire HVAC system is completely different, along with the firewall.
I would very much prefer the '94 hvac setup.

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
my truck is a 95.. it has a 00 cab 4 door cab on it now.. rear 4 cab mounts line right up. the core support has to get re worked.. the mounts are i believe 2 inches wider on the 00 vs the 95 other than that it was a pretty much bolt in .

BackwoodsSaint

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
my truck is a 95.. it has a 00 cab 4 door cab on it now.. rear 4 cab mounts line right up. the core support has to get re worked.. the mounts are i believe 2 inches wider on the 00 vs the 95 other than that it was a pretty much bolt in .
Did you have to title/register it differently? How tough was it? How many hours labour?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
His 95 would be a bit easier than your 94 since it has the newer dash, and OBD2 electronics already. Your 94 is OBD1, and apparantley has a different firewall, dash and HVAC stuff too.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
What about the wheel base or we just talking the cab ?

Didn’t the Rangers increase the cab length by 3” around ’98, which would increase the wheel base by 3”s ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals