• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

newbie ?

lil red

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok it seems like everyone is gonna laugh at me for thib but here it goes

my dads truck in haveing a humming in the front end(f250 with a dana44ttb)
we've figured out its the u joints,no biggie,new ones are sitting on the floor of the truck

the only problem is that i (and my father) have absolutly no idea how to change u joints

and im trying to keep it out of my votech class because nothing good comes from a truck sitting in that shop(scratches and dings just seem to appear)

any help is greatly apreciated(especally if i dont have to take the wheeles off(i can get to the u joint through the window in the diff)

ok ill shut up now
thanx

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
the easiest way to do u-joints is to have a torch. if you dont have torch you can use a press. if you dont have a press you can use a bench vise or ball joint tool. with the torch you can clamp the shaft in the vise and cut hte center out of the joint. then you just have to tap the caps out. if you dont have the torch, find an impact socket a little smaller than the cap diameter and one a little larger than the cap diameter. youre going to put the small socket on one side of the joint and the large one on the other side and put it into the vice or press. use penetrating oil generously if rusted. dont forget to pull your clips before you start cranking on your vice or you will be looking for a new handle. the joint should pop out on the large socket side. pull the cap off the joint, and wiggle it out. you might have to push it back through the other direction to get the other cap off. if you dont have a manual already i would definitely reccomend buying one, you own a ford now, so study your "bible".

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
the easiest way to do u-joints is to have a torch. if you dont have torch you can use a press. if you dont have a press you can use a bench vise or ball joint tool. with the torch you can clamp the shaft in the vise and cut hte center out of the joint. then you just have to tap the caps out. if you dont have the torch, find an impact socket a little smaller than the cap diameter and one a little larger than the cap diameter. youre going to put the small socket on one side of the joint and the large one on the other side and put it into the vice or press. use penetrating oil generously if rusted. dont forget to pull your clips before you start cranking on your vice or you will be looking for a new handle. the joint should pop out on the large socket side. pull the cap off the joint, and wiggle it out. you might have to push it back through the other direction to get the other cap off. if you dont have a manual already i would definitely reccomend buying one, you own a ford now, so study your "bible".
he has it right. but i think your stuck pulling the wheels and the axles out. i am not shure if those axles have c-clips inside the pig or not. you need to read up on that. tourchs are the best bet but if not try a sawzall or similar cutting tool to cut the u-joint in half. i have cracked driveshafts with the ball joint tool so be carful if you use one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals