• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Newbie Question about deep Water

Heyzeuse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2007 Ranger and this weekend I got into some water that was a little deeper than I thought. It was up to the bottom of my doors so well over the axle. Should I be worrying about water getting into the axel and drain the rear end and refill it? Or should the seals be good enough to keep water out? Also what about the front end? The water hole was about 100 yards long and I had to come back through it on the way out. I figure it should be fine but I do not want to screw up a new truck by not asking a simple question.
Thanks
Tim

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
It cant hurt to check. In all likely hood, some water probably got in. Depending on how fast you went in, if the breather went under quickly, the air inside the axle cooled, contracted, created a vacuum and drew water in.

The answer, if in doubt, change it out.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
also, if u plan on doin that anymore, make sure you nave proper vent tubes run, it will be the difference between tosting a rear end on the way home and not have any issues

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yup.....Good advice.

One other thing is to extend the vents to a level and then take note of how high on the body it is. On my truck, I know where the vents are ran to, and can almost without a doubt tell whether or not I've put them underwater during a wheeling trip.

On an '07, I wouldn't worry about water getting past the seals. As long as it doesn't pull water in through the vent line, you should be fine.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
check ALL your gear boxes after deep water runs (it only takes 15 minutes for a newbie to check them all and it can/will safe you a LOT of money and hassle down the road). that is: front axle, transmission, transfer case, and rear axle. extending vent tubes is a very good idea, as this is how water usually enters a box.

also know that your air intake for your engine is only as high as the bottom of your passenger side headlight....up to the doors is pretty close to pulling water into the motor (thats...bad).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals