• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Newbie needing help

icoad1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 3.0 FFV
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock (for now)
Total Drop
Stock (for now)
Tire Size
Stock (for now)
Hi all, new to the Ranger world but know a little about Ford trucks as I am on my 3rd Excursion...

Just picked up a 2000 3.0L V6 FFV automatic from work for my daughter to take to college. It sat unused since 2015, so I'm trying to make sure I replace all the things I need to replace to make it reliable - but the really good news is that it only has 53k miles. Already replaced spark plugs (SP432), oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter. I want to do tranny fluid/filter, brake fluid flush, washer fluid and coolant next weekend, but this is where I need some input.

Brakes are easy, washer fluid is even easier, and I know that the tranny takes ~10 qts of Mercon V, but how do I determine what transmission filter I need? I was trying to research this and found about 4 different ones that were supposed to fit, and even went to WIX website, where the cross references were different to what Autozone said. Is there an easy way to know what filter I actually need? I do know it is a 4-speed automatic transmission.

Also, coolant - I know to get the green (and mine is currently an interesting green-black color), but I also want to do all the hoses at the same time. Upper/lower radiator, heater core supply/return - is that it?? It is a non-AC model, if that makes a difference (don't think so for coolant).

Last question - am I missing anything? She's going to be 2+ hours away for college starting in the fall so I want to make this thing as reliable as it can be. I do know I need to do tires before she leaves - kinda sad as the current tires only have 2000 miles on them, but they are getting aged out, and I have checked the brakes (fluid flush is a preventive thing only bc it's not as clean as I like it to be).

Appreciate all feedback. Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

2000 Ranger 3.0l will have a 4R44E automatic
2WD has a shallower trans pan than 4x4 models, so you want the 2WD filter
I doubt you will get 10 quarts in as there is no drain on the torque converter, maybe 6 quarts

Good page to look at here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/ford-ranger-fluids-capacities/

You should have an 18 bolt trans pan, but just give it a quick look, the 5R's came out in 2001 they have 16 bolts, doesn't mean its a 5-speed just means it has a later model case, the 5th gear was added by software in any case, not an actual new gear added

Yes, "green", silicate base, coolant is fine to use, back flush heater core and reverse hoses on firewall now, and every 2 years when you change coolant, it helps to keep heater core cleaner so it can last longer, this applies to ANY vehicle

Some 3.0l's had a throttle body pre-heater so they didn't ice up in cold weather
2 smaller hoses "T'ed" off each heater hose, you can eliminate that if Ranger won't spend alot of time being used in sub-freezing temps
Makes it easier to change heater hoses, and less expensive

Also change PCV Valve

Clean MAF sensor, easy to do

It will probably have a few leaks, low milers are notorious for that, seals and gaskets dry out from disuse

3.0l is a good reliable engine
Its water pump has two coolant passages thru the timing chain cover, either one can leak, just a heads up if theres a coolant leak in the front

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
since it sat for years I would oil the top shaft in the cam synchronizer. remove the cap/sensor and put a few drops of oil on the bushing.
other than getting the cap off, it's an easy preventative procedure.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Inspect brake hoses. Honestly, I would go ahead and replace them. In addition to cracking on the outside, the inner hose has a tendency to swell and restrict flow. This can cause the brakes to lock up. Then they overheat and more repairs are needed.

icoad1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 3.0 FFV
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock (for now)
Total Drop
Stock (for now)
Tire Size
Stock (for now)
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. PCV valve, radiator and heater hoses are sitting on my bench, tranny fluid/filter and brake hoses are on their way. Just got it smogged yesterday (CA needs their $80), so all is looking great.

icoad1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 3.0 FFV
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock (for now)
Total Drop
Stock (for now)
Tire Size
Stock (for now)
Update: Finally got around to the transmission fluid yesterday. Seriously Ford - how hard is it to drill and tap a hole and put a bolt in it? Transmission pans without a drain plug should just not exist!!!

OK. Rant over, feeling better now. 3 weeks in with this and making progress. As well as doing the tranny fluid yesterday, we got the coolant, hoses and PCV done the other weekend and I have also replaced the IAC Valve. Had an odd surge when idling cold (or whatever you want to call it when you first start up on a California May afternoon), but that seems to have gone away with the IAC replacement. Got a P0455 Evap leak code the other day, so tracking that one down too - already checked and cleaned the gas cap, and checked the canister purge valve - the valve is good, but the hose from the valve to the intact is in bad shape so will replace that too. Daughter wants her brother to plasti-dip the whole truck, so we will have to take the bed off for that and I will check all the under-bed lines at the same time.

Just ordered a full brake set (Power Stop KOE15151DK) from Amazon for $230 so will replace all of that when they arrive and install the new brake lines at the same time. Certainly can't complain at the price when that includes rotors, pads and calipers in front, and the drums, shoes, springs in rear.

Got a little electrical gremlin to figure out too - we put a new head unit and speaker system in for her, but she has to open and close a door for the speakers to work, and then after she does that the dome light stays on very dimly..... seems like a bad ground somewhere. Then it's just new rims and tires and my Dad-conscience will be able to rest knowing that my daughter has a safe and reliable vehicle to go conquer the world with.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals