• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

newbie... going in neck deep

fx41986

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey just thought i'd introduce myself..... i've been following some threads on this site for a while and i really like this site more then some of the other ones out there.... anyways i will be starting my first "BIG" ranger project which involves my 2 rangers... my 86' 2wd and my non running 87' 4wd
can you guess what im up to? 2wd to 4wd conversion is what im planning on doing.
instead of removing the front cross member from the 4wd and fitting it into the 2wd along with all the suspension components im planning on just swaping the whole front frame section with the 4x4 :icon_welder: .... anyone ever do this instead or ever heard of this done? anyways well im going to try it anyways haha :icon_idea:
anyways please give me your thoughts on a swap like this..
Thanks!

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
if your joining frames together always cut/weld on an angle, reduces stress on the join. plate it over with something like 1/8 or 1/4. if i were to join frames id end up boxing in the whole thing anyways just because

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It sound A LOT easier to just replace a damn crossmember to me

fx41986

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if your joining frames together always cut/weld on an angle, reduces stress on the join. plate it over with something like 1/8 or 1/4. if i were to join frames id end up boxing in the whole thing anyways just because
thats what i had in mind. thanks for the idea about cutting/joining on a angle it would probably hold up alot better then just a straight up and down cut.
i dont think i will box it in tho.... just weld the joint then grind it down flush, then after that plate it on BOTH sides with something like 1/8" or 3/16" plates

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Why not just put the body from the 2WD on the 4WD frame?? Considering both frames are the same length and are in good shape all the way through...
SVT

fx41986

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why not just put the body from the 2WD on the 4WD frame?? Considering both frames are the same length and are in good shape all the way through...
SVT
i would do that but the 2wd is a reg. cab with a short box on it.... thats whats giving me motivation to do this swap. i was thinking a SAS would be easier and i have a dana 30 that i got for free if i decide to do that... but i have no idea where to start with a SAS. do you know of any decent SAS threads on this site?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
A couple hundred threads here at TRS have them, including mine (although I'm going with a 60 instead of a 30), just use the search icon at the top of the page and type in SAS...
SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals