• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Newbie from KY!

BlueTankRanger97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Morning all. 1997 4.0 4x4 XLT long bed. JUST got her. 313,000+ miles on the odometer. 31,000+ on the Engine and Tranny.

My "Project" Ranger. New rear window coming today I hope. Then start getting her ready for the road. Wish me luck!

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Dang....body looks really good for the miles.
Welcome to TRS.

BlueTankRanger97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Dang....body looks really good for the miles.
Welcome to TRS.
She loks a lot like Courtney Cox right now. Not too bad for the milage, from a distance just don't get too close. But no rust or Bondo. Can't say the same for Old Courtney Cox.... LOL

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
I agree w/ rumblecloud, sure looks good for 300k miles. Welcome to TRS, lots of good folks & info here.

BlueTankRanger97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
AN Update fer ya. I have completely replaced the rear brakes. New drums, cylinders, the works. Also New shocks (Still had the original blue "FORD" stamped shocks) and new front springs. Rear leafs are in the plan. Not looking for a lift just yet. Way too many other critical issues to be repaired first. Gonna replace the U joints. There is a noise when accelerating coming from the rear end. HOPE it is just a axel bearing. Just pulled the pumpkin cover and cleaned the diff. 8.8 LS. LOOKED great and no play in it at all that I could find. No Broken teeth, wear patterns looked good so The noise I am hoping are axel bearings.

Another issue that is not major, yet, is No AC. Got a few things under the hood to do also but I put some gauges on the AC and NO refrigerant at all. Hose joints are VERY loose so no wonder there is no freon in there. So I guess I am gonna just yank and replace the whole system rather than chase my tail and piece it together. Faster and long run cheaper that way. Plus it gets me a couple new tools, (Always a plus)

She drives great, as along as you don't listen to the noise from the ass end.

I got to looking at the front end and the front right Camber was way off. VERY noticeable. so I pulled the wheels again and took a closer look. The guy who did the brake job for his cousin, the guy I purchased from, alarently lost two of the 3 piece Thrush washers on the right side hub so eventually the lock nut worked free and the whole rotor was loose, grease seal was not seated. A HUGE mess. Had to go to Pul a Part and find some thrush washers.

Got lucky and found a '97 4x4 that was untouched as far as the hubs were concerned. The Lock Lugs on the wheels kept people from raping them. Got the Lock lugs off and TAH DAH a fresh set of one piece thrush washers and lock nuts.... I scored! Alteast the from end is looking good and sounding better.

Gonna jack up the ass end this weekend and run it and try and locate the noise and go from there.

Some progress pics

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Looking really good. Great progress. Be careful when you try to locate that rear end noise....

BlueTankRanger97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Looking really good. Great progress. Be careful when you try to locate that rear end noise....
Oh I will. I am not looking forward to it, but need to diagnose the issue better and I hav no other way to do it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals