• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Newb. 306ci Splash. Looking for drag wheel advice.

buddyantunez1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all, new guy here. Picked up a cool little 96' Splash Ranger for a whopping $2400! Has a 96' Explorer 302 in it backed by a C4 and an 8.8. Here's the details:

-302 .030 over(so I'm told)
-Crane cam(so I'm told, doesnt sound stock).
-1.6 adjustable rockers.
-GT40 heads and intake.
-shorty headers
-oil filter relocation

-C4 auto.
-shift kit.
-lokar shifter amd linkage.
-aluminum 1 piece driveshaft.

-28 spline 8.8. Blah...
-3.73 and open carrier. Blah...

-2010 GT wheels and tires.

-aluminum radiator.
-electric fan.
-bucket seats(not sure if OEM?).

Sure I'm missing some stuff. Its a blast to drive, but teally needs a track-lok unit and either 29" tire and/or a gear reduction(3.27/3.08). Cruises decent at 45ish.

Really looking for wheel specs for 15x8" Jegs race wheels. Not quite sure what offset is needed to clear a set of either 10.5 or 12" ET Street/Drag tires. The 2010 GT wheels are 6.2" backspacing and 18x8. Thinking 5.5" would sit about right or 4.5 if it wint rib the fenders. Still has factory spring over suspension.

Would appreciate some input!

Plans are a 31spline conversion or whole axle swap, drag wheel setup with 28-30" radials, nitrous(havent made my mind up, previously had a dry kit on a Mustang), caltracks, and a good tune.

image.jpg

Last edited:

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Fft>>>>>

Hey all, new guy here. Picked up a cool little 96' Splash Ranger for a whopping $2400! Has a 96' Explorer 302 in it backed by a C4 and an 8.8.
Sure I'm missing some stuff. Its a blast to drive, but teally needs a track-lok unit and either 29" tire and/or a gear reduction(3.27/3.08). Cruises decent at 45ish.
Really looking for wheel specs for 15x8" Jegs race wheels. Not quite sure what offset is needed to clear a set of either 10.5 or 12" ET Street/Drag tires. The 2010 GT wheels are 6.2" backspacing and 18x8. Thinking 5.5" would sit about right or 4.5 if it wint rib the fenders. Still has factory spring over suspension.
Plans are a 31spline conversion or whole axle swap, drag wheel setup with 28-30" radials, nitrous(havent made my mind up, previously had a dry kit on a Mustang), caltracks, and a good tune.

==================
NICE lookin Steppie from the rear:icon_twisted:..........

I would recommend swappin in a 95-00 Expo 8.8 with L/S and it gets ya 4 wheel disc brakes plus 4" drop in the rear!:icon_thumby:

You can get 10" wide rims under it without any issues.

On my 94, I jumped in deep by converting my rear suspension like the Explorers using stock Ford parts with the exception of having to make rear shackle mounts & shock mount bar, narrowed my rearend 3" by using 2 right side axles, and this gave me clearance for Welds 15x12 with 6.5" bs & 28x15.50 Pro Street style tires........NOT TUBBED>:yahoo:

BTW: Welcome from SE TN!

Wherebouts are you located???

buddyantunez1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for chiming in. Your thread about the narrowed 8.8 was saved in my browser for thoughts on how to stuff some good tires under it.

I'm planning on keeping the spring over axle. It only has two leafs so it should squat good and plant the power down. I'll use either caltracks or an antiwrap bar to help with leafspring wrap.

I'm contemplating swapping to a 31 spline 8.8 with 3.55's, discs and LSD. Not new to the swap, we put them in Jeeps all the time and East Coast Gear Supply is right down the road from me. They specialize in 8.8's so I'm in good shape.

So besides your springs being under the axle, are they in the stock location? Suprised you're stuffing 15" tires. I measured the outside of my springs to the outside of the fender and only have about 13". That 3" must really make the difference.

If I centered the 31 spline 8.8, whats the best offset to run a 15x8 with either a 10 or 12" radial and not rub?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

07nhbpsi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
==================

I would recommend swappin in a 95-00 Expo 8.8 with L/S and it gets ya 4 wheel disc brakes plus 4" drop in the rear!:icon_thumby:

On my 94, I jumped in deep by converting my rear suspension like the Explorers using stock Ford parts with the exception of having to make rear shackle mounts & shock mount bar, narrowed my rearend 3" by using 2 right side axles, and this gave me clearance for Welds 15x12 with 6.5" bs & 28x15.50 Pro Street style tires........NOT TUBBED>:yahoo:

:icon_hornsup:that trk is awesome:yahoo: I love that look, & even better u didn't have to tub it....somebody did their homework:icon_thumby:

chvlfrk

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
>>>>

Thanks for chiming in. Your thread about the narrowed 8.8 was saved in my browser for thoughts on how to stuff some good tires under it.
=================
Specs on my tires from American Racer>
TIRE SIZE: 28.0/15.0-15 TREAD TYPE: D TREAD WIDTH: 14.5" SECTION WIDTH: 16.8" DIAMETER: 88" RIM WIDTH: 13-15 WEIGHT" 26"

I'm contemplating swapping to a 31 spline 8.8 with 3.55's, discs and LSD. Not new to the swap, we put them in Jeeps all the time and East Coast Gear Supply is right down the road from me. They specialize in 8.8's so I'm in good shape.
=================
I'm runnin 3.73's and as you can see in the previous post, I'm runnin slapper bars.

So besides your springs being under the axle, are they in the stock location? Suprised you're stuffing 15" tires. I measured the outside of my springs to the outside of the fender and only have about 13". That 3" must really make the difference.
=================
I used NEW stock 95-00 Explorer front spring mount brackets that I placed in line with where the original Ranger ones were outside the frame>

Before I narrowed the rearend I measured to see how much tire clearance I gained moving springs under the frame>

If I centered the 31 spline 8.8, whats the best offset to run a 15x8 with either a 10 or 12" radial and not rub?
=================
I centered my chunk after I narrowed it as I'm runnin a fuel cell and also 3" dual exhaust.

Last edited:

buddyantunez1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for spelling it out for me. I didnt know the explorer brackets relocated thensprings further inward. I have a weekemds worth of work on my hands now to replace the rear emd and strip parts off a parts Explorer.

Chazz1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Fft>>>>>

==================

I wish I was as handy with fabrication as you im trying to put a wide tire on my 88 ranger

chvlfrk

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
I wish I was as handy with fabrication as you im trying to put a wide tire on my 88 ranger
====================
Same setup would work under yours, just have to careful if your keeping the stock tank to be sure of no driveshaft issues with the chunk being center instead of offset and your exhaust clearance as well.

Post some pics, lets see what your workin on...(y)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals