• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New UK Ranger owner

BAZUK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Thu
Transmission
Manual
Hello All I have recently purchased a 2009 Ranger thunder 4X4 Crew cab 2.5 diesel with manual transmission. The truck was bought from Copart with front end damage. Looks like it had a fairly heavy hit on the passenger side front wheel which had shattered the wheel. Inner steering joint on Lefthand side from back and connecting bar between joints on righthand side had broken and lower wishbone ball joint on L/H side had broken. Someone had looked at starting repairs by cutting the drive shaft. I think they might of ran out of ideas when they could not move the lower wishbone due to the torsion bar winding up. I have replaced all of the broken parts but it looks like the central steering arm might be bent. Also the axles centre distance on the L/H side is between 12 and 15mm less than the R/H side. Do the lower wishbones give before the brackets that they are mounted on give or would you think it would be a bit of each. I realise that I need to release the tension on the torsion bar before removing the bar and wishbone. Sorry for the long first message but any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers Baz

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Hi! Welcome to the site. My instinct would be to release the torsion bar tension first. But I'm not an expert on that suspension design. This particular section of the forum is for introductions. You will get better answers to your question by asking it in a section of the forum that is aimed toward problem solving steering and suspension problems or even the "general" forum.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I'm curious as to what the "Thunder" package includes. Maybe similar to the "Edge" or "XLT Sport", I'm guessing.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The OP is from England. Thus, why he got neat things like a diesel engine.

You might be needing to take the truck to a shop that can check frame alignment. Whether you can get away with replacing the bent parts first or not, I can't say. While I'm a handy mechanic, when it comes to repair work after a crash, I'm out my element.

BAZUK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Thu
Transmission
Manual
I have done a bit of online investigation on truck. Its basically a Mazda built BT-50 with the Duratorque 2.5 diesel engine in it. Thunder trim is top of the range at the time it was built, A/C, leather interior and some gauges that tell me the angle of tilt and inclination of the truck. I have made a start on sorting the suspension damage but work keeps getting in the way. I have started a post on the suspension section of the forum which I will update as I go along. It looks like not that much is the same as US spec trucks.
Cheers Baz

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yup its what we call the international ranger. It was never sold in North America for some reason.

2009 North American ranger

2009_ford_ranger-pic-8890354364225649152-1024x768.jpeg

2009 International ranger

fordranger2006-2009_750_500_70.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals