• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new truck, questions bout '79 bko

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
never heard of them?
They make it so that the gasket and pan line up, so your not under there fidgetting with the gasket while holding the pan up and trying to get a bolt in one of the holes, as that requires more hands than most of us have :icon_thumby:

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
well what i would do is lodge the gasket on the pan and put a bolt through one corner to hold it in spot than bolt it to the block and same with the other corner

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
got him to send more pics

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd flog that truck so hard just to see what it could do...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Actually the 351M and 400 was decent engines. The 400 more so then the 351, but neither one are bad.

People consider them big blocks because they use big block mounts and bolt patterns. There not really a "big block".

later,
Dustin

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
thanks for all the info guys, and im getting her on friday :D:D:D

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Have fun with it.

You cant go wrong with any Pickup/Bronco Ford built in those years.

later,
Dustin

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually the 351M and 400 was decent engines. The 400 more so then the 351, but neither one are bad.

People consider them big blocks because they use big block mounts and bolt patterns. There not really a "big block".

later,
Dustin
Big block, small block is a Chevy thing. They only had two V8s.

The 351M/400 has the same deck height as the 460. Since they are both 90-degree motors, the width is similar. They both have 3" mains. They share the bellhousing pattern. To me, it's really just the 400 motor and the 351M is the bastard step-child. The 351M is an accident. The 400 was the real goal of that project. The 400 is, to me, a big-block. And since the 351M is a 400 with a 351W crankshaft in it, it's also a big-block, if you want to use Chevy-speak on your Ford.

The 400 motor is something worthy of respect. All 351Ms are crying out in the dark, longing to be reunited with their proper cranks and pistons. They were wrongfully denied 49 cubic inches by Ford. It's an injustice. And it's a pretty cheap power and torque upgrade that is guaranteed to give results.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
An M in good running order will actually outperform a windsor of the same vintage in something like a truck or bronco. The M's were tuned for low end torque.

But yes, i agree, the 400 is a better engine for performance.

later,
Dustin

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yummy. Just noticed this.

There's a bronco just like that but different colors out in Norwich here. No idea if it's for sale but it's always in the same spot. I'd go snag it, but I wouldn't like the gas mileage.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
well shit bricks,

my dick of a brother was gonna go get me a trailer to haul it home on, and now he says hes not getting a trailer until ive seen it first (he dont like fords) and my bud whos takin me in is takin me out friday and i told him i would have the trailer.
i guess my brother doesnt know the meaning of money seems hes always asking mommy for cash, he wants me to drive 2 hours, look at it for half hour, drive back, get traler, go back out there get the bronco, and come back

guess i gotta go rent one at u-haul

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They screw into the oil pan holes and hole the gasket up also. Makes it 100 times easier to put the oil pan back on. Plan on spending a saturday or sunday doing this in the drive way since you've never done one. Also get 2 maybe 3 sets of seals to do it case uf you pull a sliver off of it getting it through the hole it will leak. Also note when you do the seal leave a little sticking out of the top hole on one side and a little recessed in the hole on the other side of the top and to the bottom the opposite, with a dab of good black silicone on two of the ends and it won't leak. HAVE FUN!!! AND WELCOME TO THE OLD STYLE STUFF!!! On another note, some people hate the M engines some love 'em. Personally I love em. They are cheap to be had, if taken care of are reliable, and can be made into stump pullers easily. They have thier ups and downs like anything else though. Small blocks are lighter parts are cheaper, mid blocks not so popular, but people get rid of em cheap a lot of times, big block wiegh a dang lot, parts are waay out there in price, and a lot of times are even less popular than mid blocks.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
thank you sir ^^

and i was out looking at her yesterday, im pretty sure im having it, but my dad doesnt want me to get it, so i just gotta find someone willing to tow a bronco home an a 1 hour trip each way

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 351M/400 has the same deck height as the 460. Since they are both 90-degree motors, the width is similar. They both have 3" mains. They share the bellhousing pattern. To me, it's really just the 400 motor and the 351M is the bastard step-child. The 351M is an accident. The 400 was the real goal of that project. The 400 is, to me, a big-block. And since the 351M is a 400 with a 351W crankshaft in it, it's also a big-block, if you want to use Chevy-speak on your Ford.
On the flipside, it has the same bore spacing as the cleveland and windsors. You can switch the heads and cranks between them with some minor work.

Not much else interchanges between the traditional SBF's (302/351W) so it isn't really fair to call it a small block. Nothing is the same as a traditional BBF (429/460) so really they kinda need to be in their own family... kinda like the FE series.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals