• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New tools you've bought recently?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I have that exact same one, got it at autozone impulse buy rack by the counter. It is my favorite 1/4" ratchet out of many (craftsman/snap on/ matco etc)...Nice score!
I knew I had seen one of these before... now I know where. I did tell the Autozone manager to F off several months ago... so I don't go there anymore.

It has a really fine tooth and seems to be pretty smooth. I'm sure I will get some use out of it.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I knew I had seen one of these before... now I know where. I did tell the Autozone manager to F off several months ago... so I don't go there anymore.

I has a really fine tooth and seems to be pretty smooth. I'm sure I will get some use out of it.
Sounds like they might have a new manager by now. There's like 3 autozones, and oreillys and a few mom and pop shops within a 5 mile radius of me....and not all of the autozones share the same cool stuff. I found the ratchet at my NOT usual location.

Yes its is a surprisingly well made ratchet for a parts store candy section tool. I love the fine teeth, swivel, switch and release designs. very ergonomic. Stupid lil ratchet lol.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have a Kobalt 1/4 swivel head ratchet that looks very similar. Also my favorite, by far, out of probably 30+ ratchets in my box... I don't really care for Kobalt usually but that one is just great.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I have a Kobalt 1/4 swivel head ratchet that looks very similar. Also my favorite, by far, out of probably 30+ ratchets in my box... I don't really care for Kobalt usually but that one is just great.
I got the trio of kobalts offset handle fine tooth ratchets, always done fine by me. Ive had them probably a decade by this point. The 1/2 and 3/8 ones have had cheater bars put on them more than a time or too as well lol. I HAVE blown one up... but Lowes no hassle warranty made getting another one almost as hassle free as they say.

When I went to get a new one the (rather dim) counter person didn't believe it was a kobalt ratchet I was trying to return... even though it says kobalt right on it all laser engraved and the part number and everything lol.

The kobalt ratchets that come in their combo kits though... terrible. If you even so much as THINK about the selector switch while trying to use those things they'll switch direction on you.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I also have a three pack of the Kobalt 90tooth guys, straight handle. I like them, my go too. I have a 1/4" flex head that spent 5 years in a bag of sockets and the chrome is all chipped up and pealing.
I also have a couple of their ratcheting wrenches, same problem.

Seems that the chrome on the Kobalt stuff will chip with too much abuse then it all starts peeling off.

I like the switches on the Kobalt ratcheting wrenches, they are low profile and don't get bumped as easily.

They also made a line of speed wrenches with one way bearings in them for a while, so they were low profile, you just flip them over to change direction. Never got around to buying a set and they discontinued them, must have had some issues with the bearing holding up over time. Seemed like a really good idea though.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I also have a three pack of the Kobalt 90tooth guys, straight handle. I like them, my go too. I have a 1/4" flex head that spent 5 years in a bag of sockets and the chrome is all chipped up and pealing.
I also have a couple of their ratcheting wrenches, same problem.

Seems that the chrome on the Kobalt stuff will chip with too much abuse then it all starts peeling off.

I like the switches on the Kobalt ratcheting wrenches, they are low profile and don't get bumped as easily.

They also made a line of speed wrenches with one way bearings in them for a while, so they were low profile, you just flip them over to change direction. Never got around to buying a set and they discontinued them, must have had some issues with the bearing holding up over time. Seemed like a really good idea though.
My standard set of ratcheting/speed wrenches are those one way bearing style. I like them... but sometimes the lack of clicking leaves you wondering if the wrench is actually doing what its supposed to do or if your just spinning the nut/bolt back and forth not getting anywhere lol.

I havnt had any troubles with mine, but the majority of everything I've worked on has had mostly metric shit on it so they don't get used often.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
those swivel head ratchets are stupid handy, when I changed the turbo on my old 7.3L powerstroke I think I did 90% of the wrenching with the harbor freight version of that 1/4" drive ratchet... it's great as a nut driver too...

The only new tool I bought recently was a set of 1/2" drive deep impact sockets at HFT, with coupon last weekend they were $20 again and I didn't have any deep metric sockets in the shop so that needed to be fixed... and of course I grabbed one of the blue puck lights since there was a free coupon for that, they hang on the rear window panel of the '97 real nice by the hook with the magnet on the metal... at one point I had 8, I think I'm down to 4 back there...

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I have a stupid tall packout stack.....two of em

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Still waiting on my order with Home Depot, which is the one I posted about the other day…

I did end up picking up a tool for opening the cans of plumbing glue (ABS, PVC, etc) the other day. Works way better than a set of channel locks.

Today was a trip to the local Ace Hardware to use a coupon and grab a few things…
C35F212D-D5C5-439B-81B8-62BD8BA5975C.jpeg

The 8” pipe wrench is marked USA and store branded. We shall see if this one holds up

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals