• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New tools you've bought recently?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My latest purchase, actually from a couple months ago was a foot pedal for my Miller TIG welder. I finally had time to try it out last night and it is really a game changer - I still need a lot of practice but now I can actually make something that looks like a bead instead of burned through holes and blobs. The torch has an arc start button and adjustable voltage but it's not in a spot that is easy to reach while welding.

After playing with it for an hour or so I dropped the torch and broke the ceramic cup so I guess I'm back to where I started :LOL:

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I have been researching those nut sert rivets and tool. It would be a nice alternative to tapping threads or welding in nuts. I don't wanna go HF on this, lookin for the good one.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have been researching those nut sert rivets and tool. It would be a nice alternative to tapping threads or welding in nuts. I don't wanna go HF on this, lookin for the good one.

This is the one we have at work. https://www.mcmaster.com/rivet-nuts/lever-style-rivet-nut-tools-6/

Normally McMaster Carr is a bit more expensive, but when I had to buy another one a few months ago, They were the cheapest I found.

The first one lasted about 20 years, we recently had a new guy break the internal shaft for unscrewing the dowel from the nut.

Works great. We use it for when we want to be able to thread something into Sheetmetal instead of using a nut. or when we can't get to the back side like on square tube.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My latest purchase, actually from a couple months ago was a foot pedal for my Miller TIG welder. I finally had time to try it out last night and it is really a game changer - I still need a lot of practice but now I can actually make something that looks like a bead instead of burned through holes and blobs. The torch has an arc start button and adjustable voltage but it's not in a spot that is easy to reach while welding.

After playing with it for an hour or so I dropped the torch and broke the ceramic cup so I guess I'm back to where I started :LOL:

Learning to use a pedal with Tig is a game changer, being able to vary the amps on the fly make welding Sheetmetal like child's play compared to everything else. I know a couple of guys that like to diel in the amps and just leave the pedal all the way floored. Fools.

Since I only use it for sheet metal work. I prefer stick for the heavier stuff. I struggle being able to hold a close enough arc and not dip my tungsten. I think miller suggests a gap = half the thickness of the material being welded. Not so easy on 1mm thick stainless.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The Doyle one that HF sells is pretty decent quality but I don't know if you can get other sizes of mandrels for it besides what comes in the box. Regardless, you want that style, vs the "cheap rivet gun" style... I had a "Nutter" brand rivnut tool and broke it several times trying to install steel rivnuts. Those are just not designed for that kind of leverage.

Learning to use a pedal with Tig is a game changer, being able to vary the amps on the fly make welding Sheetmetal like child's play compared to everything else. I know a couple of guys that like to diel in the amps and just leave the pedal all the way floored. Fools.

Since I only use it for sheet metal work. I prefer stick for the heavier stuff. I struggle being able to hold a close enough arc and not dip my tungsten. I think miller suggests a gap = half the thickness of the material being welded. Not so easy on 1mm thick stainless.
Yes... exactly. I have a LS-17 torch with a power button and variable voltage control but it's incredibly difficult to adjust it on the fly while trying to weld. There is just too much hand motion going on there all at once.

Mostly I wanted it for aluminum, my MIG welder has spool gun capability but the TIG welder I got ended up costing me about the same as a spool gun. And I can weld stainless too as an added bonus.

For stick I have a nice old Century AC/DC machine but I only pull it out if I'm welding on some big stuff or outside. I do have some 25' leads for it now so that will be nice, my old ones were only about 8'. I have a carbon arc torch attachment for it too in case I feel the need to blind all my neighbors. :icon_welder:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I do need to get a new rivnut tool myself. The HF one I have to a crap but it did serve it’s purpose and I got my money out of it.

Planned tool purchases are going to gardening tools like a spading fork and some other tools for breaking up dirt for bed preparation.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I like the power tool shelf...

20221005_153417.jpg

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
@Uncle Gump where'd you get that shelf at? It's pretty cool.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I bought a new rivet nut tool awhile back. It's made for the steel rivet nuts. My old unit was the old rivet tool style but it would break if you didn't use the aluminum rivet nuts. I pulled a bunch of the aluminum ones with it and still have it. The aluminum nuts pull flush... I liked that for mounting things on a dash or a VW fan shroud.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
It was on my Amazon wish list. The family is sorta catching on to using it.

LADECH Cordless Drill Charging Station - 8 Drill Holder - Power Tool Organizer, Wall Mount Shelf with Screwdriver and Pliers Holder - Garage Storage Organizer (8 Drill Holder) https://a.co/d/1rUUttl

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I will say the shelf is pretty robust. I'm sure much better the the wire versions.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Well I'll stir the pot. Took me a month or two to acquire all the pieces but I'm calling it a TOOL.
My reasons:
-It is meant to better things
-If used incorrectly it can cause harm/damage
-It is metal, heavy, and hard
-It is in the garage
Hey I'm happy to have it at home blow off a little steam in the afternoon.

IMG_20221005_190532987.jpg

I will throw in a few cheapies I grabbed off line with a plan for the rear window of the Bii just so this is a legit post

IMG_20221005_191303182.jpg

BiggSherm1988

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
none...yet
Total Drop
not for me
I acquired a 24" pipe wrench. I have no use for it, but I have one now.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I went to Kroger last evening for some dinner stuff. Jumped out of the truck and stepped right on this 1/4 inch drive rachet. I figured I would give it a good home.

20221006_082210.jpg

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I went to Kroger last evening for some dinner stuff. Jumped out of the truck and stepped right on this 1/4 inch drive rachet. I figured I would give it a good home.

View attachment 83394
I have that exact same one, got it at autozone impulse buy rack by the counter. It is my favorite 1/4" ratchet out of many (craftsman/snap on/ matco etc)...Nice score!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals