• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New tools you've bought recently?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Great, now I’m gonna have to try the stuff… see what you guys get me into? Lol

I’ve heard of Kroil but never seen it or tried it. WD-40 has it’s uses so I keep it around. Never was much impressed with PB Blaster but it was a wicked bee killer on a fresh can. Little expensive to keep around for that though. Mostly use Nutcracker anymore, it’s a commercially available thing but that’s not really a problem with my own business. It’s not exactly cheap, but it works reasonably well. The other I use a lot is SeaFoam Deep Creep, though it’s not cheap either. I got a little sample can of some stuff years ago and it was absolutely amazing good. When I tried to get a case or two of cans they said no, they’re only selling 55 gallon drums right now. Well, best of luck with that noise cuz that’s not gonna work at all. Then they tell me if I can get other businesses to buy drums they’ll give me a discount rate. Yeah, I really don’t see this working. Not many shops are going to be willing to buy a 55 gallon drum of the stuff no mater how good it is. Why yes, I’d love to pay a fortune for a difficult to manage huge supply that will last for the next 20 years and I have to load it into sprayers on my own, great, thanks.

Anyway, yes, I’m irritated I can’t get any, I watched it break free threads where steel and aluminum corroded together. Spray it good, twists out with a 3/8” ratchet and the threads were perfect, didn’t rip them apart. Sold, where do I get more? Nothing else would touch it, even soaking them. I was about to rip the threads out trying and this stuff was legend.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Went to some garage sales today and ended up with a couple interesting things... a pair of 3 ton jack stands, even the ratcheting type not the annoying tube type with the like 3 positions... couldn't pass them up for $5 for the pair, sometimes it's handy to have a shorter set than the two pair of 6 ton stands I have...

Next I spotted an Estwing 3 pound drilling style hammer in not bad shape for $4, couldn't pass that up either...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Bought the new 72” box from Harbor Freight. This is replacing a 48” craftsman box and a HF 5 drawer cart. I’m going to buy a narrow top box once they come out with a matching one. Pretty happy with this one so far.

A3372150-1BE5-48E2-B733-20698BDCEFEF.jpeg

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That looks pretty sharp, the 72's are a bit different for whatever reason than the other sizes but they keep getting better too... I like my box setup (54" with two side cabinets and 54" top box), gives me some flat spots on the ends. The latches on the main box aren't my favorite but I'm used to it so it doesn't really bother me...

I just got the big bearing separator from HFT last night to help with the transmission, didn't get very far with it last night, got distracted making the last part of the storage compartment for the bottom of my welding cart, it turned out pretty good...

broncc

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
My credo
Giving my truck more money than it deserves.
Getting a cart for my welder has been life changing. No more dragging it around with a ton of wires to snag. No more strapping the bottle to random things so it doesn't fall.

IMG_20230513_124300938_HDR.jpg

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Picked up a new floor jack. I’ll still get an O-ring kit and try to repair the other one but I think I’ll need a floor jack before I can get to attempting the repair.

There are times when two jacks would be handy anyway. So no money lost either way.

I picked up a 3 ton this time since I suspect I may have over taxed the old 2 ton jack a time or two.

I made sure to purge the system and make sure the cylinder had enough hydraulic jack oil in it. Manufacturers have been notorious for not putting enough in from the factory.

Once I get the o-ring kit, and if I’m successful in repairing the old floor jack, I’m going to take a look at the transmission jack. It has developed a slow drop. It doesn’t get used all that often, so lack of use may be the issue but it could be that the seals are just failing due to lack of use.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Well, I found a kit that might work for the old floor jack. $46 but I'll give it a shot. Apparently that particular floor jack is an odd duck that no one has a rebuild kit for. So, I'll roll the dice and see what happens.

The transmission jack actually has a parts break down for the hydraulic unit. So, I'll give that a whirl calling customer service and try ordering the parts as listed.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not new, but will be first time using them since I bought several years ago. Some pieces of a vehicle rotisserie that got rusty form being stored outside. Wire wheeled and painted...

Attachments

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
There was an "old iron" club swap meet fairly local so I went to see what cool I could find...

$10 got me a 2 ton HFT chain hoist... (have two trolleys on my A frame, one had a come along now it is proper)
$45 got me a 3 jaw slide hammer, already used it to pull out one of the races on the ZF5... next isn't going to be as simple
$10 1/2hp 6" ACE branded bench grinder

The rest was smalls, just random stuff, some parallel jaw pliers, channel locks, a free seat for the boat (they're dumb expensive, the upholstery on this one is bad but the hinges are the same as mine that has bad hinges...) and some socket U joints and stuff...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm gonna put the code 1 torsion bars in my truck... probably when the weather cools this coming week. I found an OTC Ford torsion bar tool on Amazon used/returned for $30. For that price I figured I would just buy it opposed to the parts store tool rental.

OTC 7826 Torsion Bar Tool for Ford Truck https://a.co/d/cdLh86C

I also got new adjuster bolts and I found the Rough Country forged 1 1/2 inch lift keys in a damaged box for $27 bucks. Not sure I will use them honestly. But I have the choice to use them if I need to.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I forgot this one. Let's play name that tool...

20230706_191103.jpg

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
oops, should have read other replies first.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals