• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New tools you've bought recently?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'm in the same situation. I've shoe horned as much as I can and still get vehicles in the garage.
I’m shoe horned waaay beyond that point right now…

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
My truck had sat for about three weeks. Went to start it and the battery was dead. Grab my battery charger... I couldn't get it to work. So I grabbed my jump pack... no go. Tried to charge the jump pack... won't even take a charge. So I ended up with a new battery charger. I bought a Schmacher. It's way more digital then I wanted but most of them are these days it appears. It did work well... set it at boost and the truck cranked right up. I then stuck it on the Bronco II and have that battery a full charge.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
After burning up my cheap M12 brushed drill... I started looking to replace it. I'm pretty committed to the M12 stuff for my travel tools at this point. So I found a deal on a M12 1/2 chuck hammer drill. $67 with no battery. This one will work circles around my cheap brushed drill... and not that I will use the hammer function that often... it will be nice and I don't have to take my Dewalt hammer drill all the time.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
When I bought my M18 drill I really wanted the fuel version, but I didn't want the hammer drill feature. For what I was planning on using it for it would have just been added weight. Luckily they did offer a brushless non fuel M18 drill, not nearly as powerful as the Fuel version, but I settled. Still better then my old brushed Porter cable drill, and even a couple corded drills.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Yeah... this hammer drill is heavier.

But I'm done with the non fuel stuff. I'll spend a few more dollars.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just bought a JOMON JM-218 rivet gun adapter off Amazon. I need to install about a hundred pop rivets in my latest home project and I'm told these work great with a cordless hand drill. I was rather dreading that pop rivet installation with a plier type hand tool.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Got a 7 piece set of Husky Swivel head Ratchet wrenches with my Hope Depot Cristmas card.
1673468264218.png

Also got 2 sets of small plastic shelves to help me get organized.
1673468387511.png

With the few bucks I got left on the GC, I'm going to get lawn mower stuff for the upcoming spring, It's like 4 weeks away.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
I have a favorite brand of knife, it's the "Studies and Observation Group" often referred to as SOG. I was using a a full sized SOG SALUTE mid-lock, which very much surprised me for both edge retention and toughness. I hated how it opened but gave it a try. As a work knife, it is quite a SOLID value listing under $35 from the PX.

I had been reading good reviews on their TERMINUS XR and XR LTE models, making use of their new XR locking mechanism. After modest deliberation, I chose the improved and higher rated LTE. Since it would always be on.me, I chose the Ti finished blade with Carbon Fiber scales for it's light weight.

It operates great, ESPECIALLY THE LOCK! It is very easy to flip open (3 different methods to deploy the blade) is super duper light but is only OK for a pocket knife; a bit on the fancy side and it's super light. The 3" blade isn't up to many of my daily chores.

My next knife prospect was a SOG FLASH AT; it uses the same locking mechanism as the Terminus but instead of flipping to open, it uses a spring assist mechanism.

The Flash AT is no lightweight measuring 5.2ozs, it rides deep in a pocket and when deployed it is audible and apparent that a blade has been introduced to the situation. When this thing opens, nearly anything in the way will be moved out of the way; it deploys with authority and force. It is up more than any daily chore use, sharpens well and holds a great edge. The handle is appreciably larger than the blade, I really like how it feels. It provides even better control of it's thick bellied blade.

Though I will concede that the technology built into today's flippers negates the need for an assisted open knife, this Flash AT was money well spent as a work knife. I have adopted it as my every day carry (EDC) knife. Consideration should be lent to state and local laws regarding blade length. In my pocket this knife is considered concealed and it's blade is tap dancing near 4". I maintain a CCP which covers me carrying in this manner, though otherwise it would be an issue in Washington.

If you have a CCP or are permited by your local laws, I highly recommend the SOG Flash AT, it is a great value, very stout and I believe it will experience a long happy life of abuse. If you are interested visit their website as I bought it direct from them; the primary reason being they have GREAT daily specials. I was able to grab the Flash AT for less than half their MSRP with free shipping and a DISCOUNT code during the Black Friday promotion.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not so much bought as built: 2" x 72" belt grinder. Besides making knives it has a lot of other uses.
F8F915CA-DF8D-4060-9B21-57F26A377470_1_105_c.jpeg

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I have often wondered but haven't seen or found one. If there is would someone please move this post?

A Harbor Freight Tools opened nearby recently and I got an Inch-Pound Torque Wrench, but was not able to view one outside a sealed box.

After getting home and looking it over I discovered it had only a 1/4" drive head, which was already seeming too loose.

My next trip by there I took it back but am still at a loss as to finding one that's affordable and doesn't require paying shipping.

Any ideas of a good way to go?
Just moved this post as PO suggested.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
@Josh B

I got one of the 1/4” HF inch/lb torque wrenches. The head only wobbles when you back off the tension, or rather should only. Honestly, it is kinda cheap but it seems to work ok. Best way to keep torque wrenches accurate is to always back off the tension when it’s not being used. I bought a 3/8” inch/lb beam style from a traveling tool sale back when that was a thing, but I like the click style better. I also have a Craftsman 1/2” foot/lb one that seems pretty decent for a not overly expensive one. Lowes had the Craftsman ones on sale back during the holidays, I was kicking around buying a 3/8” click style. Also, Autozone has some that look decent, believe they are OEM brand.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Clicker torque wrenches have their place... but so do beam wrenches. I have both in 3/8 and 1/2 inch. Only a beam style inch pound. Hard to use a clicker to check pinion bearing preload.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Clicker torque wrenches have their place... but so do beam wrenches. I have both in 3/8 and 1/2 inch. Only a beam style inch pound. Hard to use a clicker to check pinion bearing preload.
I got to borrow an old Starrett dial inch pound torque wrench for the pinion gear on the rear. That was real handy as it quickly shows you what force it takes to turn the pinion.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals