• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New to the 4.0

281_Mk8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I just bought a 2004 Ranger XLT 4x4, with the 4.0, auto trans, and 4.10 gears. I drove an 88 Ranger 2.0 5-speed 2WD for years so I'm not new to Rangers. Anyways im familiar with the Ford Modular V8's but I'm new to the 4.0. I'm looking to do a few bolt ons and I was wondering what you guys reccommend. (I'm thinking intake and exhaust will do nothing, obviously). I have an SCT Chip from my Lincoln Mark VIII that i was thinking of getting reprogrammed and put on my ranger. Does anybody have any expierence with these? Also, I see that the 04+up 4.0's use a different type of MAF so they arent many air intakes that will fit it, do any of you know any other intakes besides the K&N that will fit on my Ranger? Also, I was looking at exhaust and I like the dual exit magnaflow cat back as far as looks but its hard to tell what it sounds like on some of the videos over the net. Basically I'm just looking for some common mods you guys do to the 4.0 as well. Thanks for any help. By the way, I do know that none of these mods will do a whole lot on a stock motor.

281_Mk8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The 4.0 OHV seems to be a little more popular around here, but I figured a few of you would have some advice. I'm just looking for what your expierence were with the mods you did. Thanks.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I made an intake out of 3" PVC and some soft rubber 3" PVC elbows/couplings and a clamp on conical air filter. Cost me 20 bucks instead of 200.

I didn't think it would do much but I was quite surprised. You'll love the sound and it's got a bit more grunt when you floor it.

I still have a relatively stock exhaust on my explorer, but my ranger has a 94 factor shorty header with 2.25" pipe all the way back with a turbo muffler and a flowmaster 40 in series. That really improved the top end without hurting the low end. So far I'm getting 1-2 mpg better as well.

So yeah, I'd say intake and exhaust are worth it. Just don't expect any miracles. You need forced induction for that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals