• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New to Site ranger owner with a build plan

whoischriscates

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys the name is Chris. I have a 88 Ranger single cab short bed 2wd (for now) has a 5.0 in it with C4 trans lifted 6 inches on 33's. been my daily driver since spring of 2010. Over the winter i plan on swappin a d44 and 8.8 in it using a smallblock c6 and np205 tcase. the plan is to build a trail rig. as of right now i am plannin on runnin the 6" superflex coils from james duff in front and chevy 1500 springs in the rear (not stock of course). Lock-Right lockers front and rear along with something around 4.88 or 5.13 gears. i want to fit 37s which ofcourse i plan on cuttin the fenders and thinking of some kind of 2 or 3 inch bucket drop in the front. in a way this is going to be a budget build. open to any ideas or suggestions. also wondering if there are any coils they make for the swap that will be softer then the spring made for the fullsize bronco. Thank You

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Welcome to TRS!

DNGRNGR89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Good luck with your build! Wish my 89 had a 302..

whoischriscates

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks, just pull the 302 out of your mustang, the ranger will be alot more fun. i had the engine in my truck before i lifted it and i could pull on a stock mustang since my ranger is a little lighter.

DNGRNGR89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well.. I am building a new 408 stroker motor for the mustang. I guess I could throw the built 306 I already have in the Mustang into the Ranger. No offense every one, but I just worry the 306 would break my Ranger in two after a few blocks of romping around.. Who knows though! Worth a shot I guess.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Well.. I am building a new 408 stroker motor for the mustang. I guess I could throw the built 306 I already have in the Mustang into the Ranger. No offense every one, but I just worry the 306 would break my Ranger in two after a few blocks of romping around.. Who knows though! Worth a shot I guess.

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

not offended as much as grateful for a good laugh.....

pull up a chair and listen careful....

i mean......a little sissy smallblock (defined as sub 400 hp) busting a ranger is patently ridiculous to the initiated. sure rear axles wont take it....but that applies to many mustangs as well...

skying out your mustang wont happen as much as it will with the ranger.

put another way...take the 306 mustang to a typical limited/street class tough truck course and run it balls out. pull 306 from stang and drop in a decent 2wd ranger and run it balls out. putting my money on the ranger.

fill the mustang up with 3500 pounds of lead and drive fast over some railroad tracks.....my ranger is still here funtioning effectively...

on the other hand....beating a mustang with a ranger at the strip....well i have found it easier to go faster cheaper with the fox stang. especially the early fox cars. the funny thing there is we were blowing windows out of them in the late 80's because they would tweak so bad...literally wanting to rip in half... once tied up though...:icon_thumby:

where the original poster lives theres supercharged big block rangers with stock chassis....some more recently updated with rear fourlinks etc but were stock for the first ten years....and i mean stock.

frame on this is less then stock. constantly over loaded and twisted up like a slinky with lockers and huge tires....

and i mean less then stock....factor in the frame is nearly rotted in half out back....and i could not be more impressed with the ranger platform.

sure, few years of 300 hp small block abuse and 6-8 foot landings on an improperly hacked frame took their toll. but that was easily rectified.

its running 300 plus hp on less then stock frame here too....with 20 years of michigan winters eating away its soul....

you might not believe this....but 44 inch tires are a little more stressful on a chassis then drag radials...

so....weak is the last thing i would call a ranger.

it currently has even less frame......though somewhat beefed.....as it runs a 6.5 diesel engine now....

now....this thing has been v8 equipped since 1995 and has over a million miles of retarded use on it....now i feel i have to qualify this....because every few years i wire wheel/blast it down and paint it....and with a ranger that is quite easy to do. its the only way a Michigan winter truck could survive this long....regardless...a unibody would not stand a chance..

and i am just now...literally today finally beginning the process of fixing its localized rot issues out back behind the cab....

offended....no.....

amused....yes....

street-able smallblocks hurt a ranger....not an issue....at least to my tiny little mind.

well hopefully, at the very least.... you understand why i find that so humerous now:icon_thumby:

i am a detroit native and lived in d heights before...

whoischriscates

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
haha very well put my friend. you did a way better job of saying the same thing I was going to say. and the fact that you have a 6.5 diesel in your ranger i find amazingly awesome. I was thinking of running a 3.9 4bt cummins in my ranger eventually but now that sounds a bit girly.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
nothing girly about a cummins. :icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

FuzzRamsey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I had a 347 stroker with a c4 in my 84 a few years back, didnt break it, its actually still on the road today. same motor trans and all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals