• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New to me 97 4X4

Welder0800

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I ended up trading my 85 ranger for this 97 I found on Craigslist. Wanted to show y'all some pictures of the new truck so here she is.

If anyone heard about the riots in Morgantown, WV back in October this is one of the streets where they took place. Much calmer atmosphere now thankfully.

Specs on the new truck
  • 4.0 180,000 or so
  • 5 speed
  • Manual hubs
  • Electric t-case
  • 4" RC suspension lift
  • Some sort of homebrewed 2" bodylift
  • Power windows/locks
  • 33x12.50-15 on what I think are Cragar d-windows
  • Tilt steering wheel
  • Working A/C

The 97 is defiantly slightly taller

Interior shots

Drove the truck 2 hours back to WV and did fine. Has some issues to address like some slight body rust, front u-joint is really clunking in 4X4, tires. Only had it 2 days but starts and runs good so i'm happy. I do plan on building it some hopefully, I already have a 8.8 31 spline disk brake axle, another Dana 35 front axle, manual 1354 with linkage, Warn "Jeep" Hubs. Most likely will stick with the 33" tire size. I'll try and move this to the "under construction" section if any of these swaps actually happen. Could use deeper gears but I feel the 5.13's sitting in the garage might be too deep so im hunting some 4.56's.
P.S. My bad about the pic size, couldn't get photobucket to size them down.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Pics are fine. Good looking project you have there. I can move this to under construction if you want this your build thread...

SVT

Welder0800

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tires and Plans

Put some new tires on the truck. Mastercraft Courser MXT 35/12.5-15. Paid $186 at tire installed. Made in U.S.A
[/URL][/IMG]
As to be expected power and mileage is terrible. My short term plan is to cleanup and swap a disk brake explorer rear that I bought locally like 4 years ago. I have some new Yukon 5.13 gears and install kit. Also the truck came with manual BW1354 with linkage but has the stock electric case still in the truck. I just tighten up the front wheel bearings as they were lose as many have experienced. I put on some Jeep hubs I bought from a guy awhile ago. The bad is, there's a hole knocked in the front diff from the cheap lift plate the P.O. put on. I'd like to get the skyjacker hinge brackets LHB352-5 and RHB35-6 and swap in a another Dana 35. I'd like to keep the calipers because there the dual piston variety if that's possible?
Question: I have searched and searched what is verdict on swapping to explorer brake master cylinder and booster? Am I good with my stock ranger MC and explorer disk brake rear. Or go to the same year booster and master cylinder from an Explorer. I'm pretty sure I've read that the Explorer has metric fittings and the Ranger has standard? Any help appreciated as I'd like to do this correctly.

I'm done with college for the summer on the May 8th so I'll be working full time for a few months and am planning on messing with this truck some I think it has potential but does need some work. Also since I'm driving this at the moment I'm selling my 89 Ranger and 88 B2. That 65 F-350 is on the back burner but staying. Let me know what ya'll think*Mods if you wanna move this feel free I haven't done anything major*

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
95+ ranger and 95+ explorer mc's are the same, no reason to change...

SVT

Welder0800

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just checked Napa's website and your right, I should have looked myself in the first placed and saved ya the trouble; appreciate the heads up.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I did the same thing 10+ years ago on my ranger with an explorer swap, I swapped mc's and found out they were the same later on...

SVT

Welder0800

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
5.13's, disc brakes and explorer leaves

Finally got my rear back together and under the truck

Rear is out of a 97 explorer, went with 5.13 gears. Install was fairly simple and the truck stops way better, honestly the swap seems worth it just for the increase in braking in my opionon. So far everything seems good. Truck rides much better after ditching the stacked blocks and putting in the explorer leaf packs.

The new leaves made up for ditching the stock block and truck is sitting pretty close to what I'd like.

Not going to promise more updates but hopefully I make some money this summer and get the front end geared and locked so she's back to four wheel drive.

*Mods if you want to move this to the "under construction" thread feel free if you deem it necessary*

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals