• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New (to me) 95 ranger!

bmtrnavsky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215 70 r16
I just got a 95 Ranger single cab 2wd short bed 2.3l. It's really not in bad shape other than an exhaust that is all rusted out. Only threw one code high voltage at the temp sending unit.

The coolant reservoir looked great bright green fluid. radiator is shiny inside but fluid looks like texas red clay! :) I've dumped in a quart of flush and run it all week. This weekend I'll backflush, dump in more flush, and try to get it really clean before replacing the filling with antifreeze. Hopefully getting everything clean will solve the code otherwise I'll replace the sensor.

Exhaust I'm planning a 2' to 2 1/4" Flowmaster high flow cat and a 2 1/4 inch dynomax super turbo exhaust. It's only getting about 19 MPG highway. so plugs wires, fuel filter, air filter, clean mass airflow sensor is in order.

Its going to be a daily driver getting about 150 miles a day and light weekend duty as a fishing hunting machine. What else do I need to look at? overall not bad for a $1000 truck. :)

bmtrnavsky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215 70 r16
Oh... will the gauge cluster out of a 03 explorer fit and function properly? its a much better-looking cluster. My odometer is broke and I just kinda like the tach and white background.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello Bmt, welcome to TRS. I can't much answer your questions but did want to say howdy.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Welcome. Sounds like you're checking the boxes. I have the white gauge background in my sport model (2011) and in heavy clouds or dusk, putting on the lights makes the gauges almost impossible for me to read so make sure the lights behind the gauges are bright enough.

bmtrnavsky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215 70 r16
Cool. I was planning to add LED's.

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
If you're doing long commutes, i would suggest continuing the major tune up with a new fuel pump, water pump, thermostat, and pcv valve. Even if they are working now, it's nice to have confidence knowing they're new. Also flush out the rest of the fluids.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you're doing long commutes, i would suggest continuing the major tune up with a new fuel pump, water pump, thermostat, and pcv valve. Even if they are working now, it's nice to have confidence knowing they're new. Also flush out the rest of the fluids.
How often do you recommend changing the fuel pump?

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
How often do you recommend changing the fuel pump?
It's usually recommended to change them every 100k miles, but they can last a lot longer depending on the brand. If you're buying a truck with high mileage, then it's uncertain whether the pump has been changed at all, and in that case I would just change it so it doesn't fail on you in the middle of nowhere. It's not a hard fix, just inconvenient.

bmtrnavsky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215 70 r16
Changing the rest of the fluids is absolutely in the plan. Are there any good tire choices on the 14 inch rim? I have 225 70 r14’s want something slightly taller but not 27 8.50 r14 big. I’m not trying to ruin fuel economy but I do go hunting and fishing in it and would like a slightly taller more aggressive tire. They ride nicer and look better ???

stsalvage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
i have 2 ranger
Make / Model
Ranger XLT exte
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I have had a rule that my grandfather passed on to me. If I ever bought anything from any I did not know. The rule was anyone I did not know treated their car like a Bucket meaning they did not care if it blew up. My simple rules have proven right all but 2 times Rules of buying a used car or truck from a private party. This is my checklist unless I have receipts with in the last 6 -12 months I change all the water hoses I change the radiator. The plastic takes don't last forever the thermostat and if possible the water pump and the Clutch Fan and check the plastic fan for Cracks in the plastic Check your brake pads and hoses. That takes care of your cooling system.

The next step is cleaning out your engine In the pushrod engines this works good Delo and Diesel Gas. Most people that have older care are flakes on changing their oil on time. If you run 2 quarts of Delo and the rest diesel gas in your engine DO NOT PUT IT IN YOUR FUEL this is to clean out your engine of sludge Burnt oil It will clean out your oil pump Do this 2 times to clean it out. If your engine runs better you will have a longer life Motor.

stsalvage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
i have 2 ranger
Make / Model
Ranger XLT exte
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Since you only have 90 to 100 Horsepower in your 2.3 engine best off to get a 215 75 14 or a 215 70 14 Best off buying a rear sway bar for your truck. If you like a firm ride Bilstein's front shocks and Air shocks for the rear Gabriels Air shocks auto zone lifetime warranty Same on the Bilstein's Its a stiff ride But it makes your trucks ride smooth I like the BFGoodrich TA tires you get 70,000 miles out of them good handling tire

stsalvage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
i have 2 ranger
Make / Model
Ranger XLT exte
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the fuel pump is easy to do don't take it to a shop there are 4-6 bolts in your bed under the Bedliner their T45 torque bolts Best thing to do is unhood the rear tail light plug and there are 3 small screws where the filler hose it. If your in a smog city best off to change them out fill hose cus it gets cracks in it But take all the bolts out of the bed unclip the hare harness in the back for your tail lights get 2 people to pick up the bed where the wheel wells are and set the front of the bed on your back tires and the backside of the bed on your bumper Go on Utube to see how its done lots of ways to doing it. Autozone has a lifetime warranty on the outer hose. Always keep your receipts. It makes selling your truck that more easier Plus you have free parts when they brake down

stsalvage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
i have 2 ranger
Make / Model
Ranger XLT exte
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Manual
The AutoZone now has a lifetime warranty on their fuel pumps for are 1989--95 ford rangers go online and look

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals