• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New stereo dimmer wiring

Automobilie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0L w/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I got a JVC Arsenal KD a615 from my brother for christmas (As well as a set of speakers, but the main ones don't quite fit into the door and I have no tweeter spots), spent many hours trying to translate the wiring from the new wiring of the stereo to the wires in my truck.

I got the speaker wires set up fine. Here's the wiring for the Receiver Wiring Adapter:

Ye-12 volts constant
Or/Blk -not used
Re-12 volts swiched power
Or/Wh-Dimmer
Or-Illumination
Blk-Chassis Ground
Blu-Power antenna
Blu/Wh-Amplifier turn on

It's a 1990 Ranger 4.0L Supercab that was passed onto me from my granddad. It's in very good shape, but the stock radio had a problem with becoming very loud, then quite, then loud again.

The wiring for the truck goes; http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/pdf_documents/90_Ranger-BroncoII_base_radio.pdf

I've got the stereo wired up fine and it works great, but it also has a Day/Night mode (You can change the color and brightness between the two, but the manufacturer hadn't figured out to just add am/pm to the clock so it switches at X-time).

Basically, the truck supposedly has two illuminator wires (Though, the diagram has red for both a ground and illuminator and then a separate wire for the illuminator interior lights). There is nothing for the dimmer wire on the truck, so will connecting the 'interior lights' wire to the illuminator input on the new stereo enable switching between day/night mode?

Also, I'm assuming the ignition wire from the truck goes to the 12v switched input on the stereo?

caveman_joey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
stock 4 banger
Transmission
Manual
This is the best I can interpet without having both manuals infront of me or testing the two wires on the truck harness for power with lights on and power with lights off. The radio needs the constant (key off power for presets/clock) and the switched power for actually cutting the power to the radio. You may have to switch the wires that are for the illumination or dimmer to get them to work properly. I hope this helps you out.
Radio wires-----Truck wires
Ye--------------Lt Grn/Yel
Re--------------Yel/Blk
Or/Wht---------Org/Blk
Or--------------Lt Blu/Red
Blk--------------Blk

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
You should have the Wiring harness from the Stereo and the wiring harness given to you by crutchfield that you soder to the stereo harness and it allows you to directly plug an play.

Red to red - which is the ignition switched
yellow to yellow - 12v constant that keeps the memory such as preset stations and clock.
black to black - for the ground
blue to blue - though you don't have a power antenna
Best I can guess on the orange is to hook it up the other other orange and hope it works

then the speaker wires should be grey to grey, purple, green, white...

As for the speakers you can probably make a plate that would mount the speaker a half inch out or more from the door panel so it doesn't hit the back of the door or window.

Automobilie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0L w/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The problem with just using the Crutchfield harness was I didn't have all the wires from my truck. I remember I had to actually disassemble the plug, re-organize the wires to fit the correct slots, and remove any spares (I think I left an orange, the power antenna, and the amp turn on).
I'll plan on opening my dash again Sunday if I don't end up busy with other things. If it looks like every should work then I'll post some pictures.

Automobilie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0L w/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Got it to work. I had the Radio Screen wire hooked up to the Illuminator wire for the stereo. Hooked it up correctly with the Panel Illumination from the truck and I now have Day/Night mode.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals