• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New shocks

hendrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
2003 ford ranger xlt 4x4 with 2.5 inch lift rear 2 or 2 3/4 inch front what shocks fit torsion bars, something the drives easy on road because right now I feel like im getting bounced around on every little bump and handels nice is desert. bought it with some type of rancho shocks on currently

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm going to guess the front lift was accomplished by cranking the torsion bars. While it provides clearance for bigger tires... it diminishes the downward travel of the front suspension. That will result with a harsh ride.

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
I have a superlift on the same truck and not much fits in that front area. Superlift makes a decent shock and I got the 2" tube pro comp from a Jeep that fit with about 2mm clearance after trying about 5 others (thanks to the local 4wd parts for the returns hahaha). Pro Comp rides pretty nice but I'd love to find some coil-overs eventually. The spare superlift set is sitting around somewhere if you are interested in acquiring or the dimensions of either let me know. Rear is way more versatile and I have Pro Comps designed for an F150.

hendrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm going to guess the front lift was accomplished by cranking the torsion bars. While it provides clearance for bigger tires... it diminishes the downward travel of the front suspension. That will result with a harsh ride.
so removing torsion bars would be my best option and go for coilovers. when i bought it its running 35s so thats most likely what happened

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I would think to clear 35 inch tires... they probably installed a lift... and cranked the torsion bars.

You have any pictures of the truck... does it have an actual IFS lift already?

hendrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a superlift on the same truck and not much fits in that front area. Superlift makes a decent shock and I got the 2" tube pro comp from a Jeep that fit with about 2mm clearance after trying about 5 others (thanks to the local 4wd parts for the returns hahaha). Pro Comp rides pretty nice but I'd love to find some coil-overs eventually. The spare superlift set is sitting around somewhere if you are interested in acquiring or the dimensions of either let me know. Rear is way more versatile and I have Pro Comps designed for an F150.
yes the dimensions would be great of the superlift thankyou.
I would think to clear 35 inch tires... they probably installed a lift... and cranked the torsion bars.

Attachments

hendrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i know theres added leaf springs and a block for the rear lift im not sure how they lifted the front its a 2.5 lift in the front or 2 3/4

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well there doesn't appear to be a lift on the front... but you clear the tires so well because the aftermarket fenders and bedsides have such large wheel openings. Doesn't appear to have a body lift either.

Are those tires 35's or do you have 33's on in the picture?

I will say... looking at the angles your front axles are on... the torsion bars are cranked max. There can't be much down travel if any.

Do you have wheel spacers too? It looks wide to me,

hendrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well there doesn't appear to be a lift on the front... but you clear the tires so well because the aftermarket fenders and bedsides have such large wheel openings. Doesn't appear to have a body lift either.

Are those tires 35's or do you have 33's on in the picture?

I will say... looking at the angles your front axles are on... the torsion bars are cranked max. There can't be much down travel if any.

Do you have wheel spacers too? It looks wide to me,
35s no wheel spacers

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Man that thing has so much clearance... I would personally drop the front down and bit and give some drop back to the suspension. Pull the shocks and see if they're blown... if still good put them back on and see how it feels.

To make it a long travel rip through the desert truck... it will take nothing but money.

hendrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Man that thing has so much clearance... I would personally drop the front down and bit and give some drop back to the suspension. Pull the shocks and see if they're blown... if still good put them back on and see how it feels.

To make it a long travel rip through the desert truck... it will take nothing but money.
yes gotta work my ass of this summer on fishing boats. i know true travel makes a good 4x4 kit. Thankyou for the advice!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals