• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Shocks

Buckeyeman

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I replaced my shocks today on my 2010 Ranger 2WD with 21K miles. I was amazed that 3 of the OEM Motorcraft shocks were out of gas with such low mileage. They are junk! I put on Monroe Sensa-Trac's #37153 front and #58608 rear. I couldn't believe the difference in ride quality. I'm going to try and get the dealer to warranty the shocks.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
21,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!! that sux.....

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
With only 21k on them you must have gotten a crap batch.

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My impression is that it is fairly common for Ford to put junk shocks on their vehicles. I am more familiar with older Fords than newer ones, and they may have changed things in recent years, but judging by my experience and what I have been told, Ford shocks typically don't last. I like Ford, but I go aftermarket for shocks.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check ball joints while your at it. Mechanic friends have seen 20k on a Ford truck needing new ball joints.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

Buckeyeman

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Check ball joints while your at it. Mechanic friends have seen 20k on a Ford truck needing new ball joints.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic
I'll do that, thanks for the tip. I wish I could grease them.

Cody Ray

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Heaven forbid they put zerk fitting on them. Guess they want you to come back in for new ones.

Buckeyeman

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I took the old shocks back to the dealer for warranty and as expected I got told they would not warranty the shocks because I took them off the vehicle. They clearly saw the shocks were out of gas but still would not reimburse me for the Monroes or give me 3 Motorcraft shocks from the parts dept. I tried to tell them they were coming out ahead financially but to no avail. I even called Ford Customer Relations and they said if you replace a part with aftermarket part the warranty is void even though the part meets or exceeds mfg. quality. I'll just remember this the next time I have to buy a new vehicle. :thefinger: Ford.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you wanted to warranty the shock you should have taken it to a ford dealer with those shocks installed. Of course the warranty is void, for one they weren't on the vehicle. If you are bring them into the service department in hand they have no clue where those shocks have been or what's been done with them, the also aren't going to reimburse you for purchasing the Monroes when they could have replaced them with Motorcrafts for less. How are they going to come out ahead financially if you already replaced the part out of your own pocket, you spent your money they kept theirs? They are not going to warranty your Monroe replacement shocks. That doesn't mean the warranty for the vehicle is void, just for the shocks.

Buckeyeman

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you wanted to warranty the shock you should have taken it to a ford dealer with those shocks installed. Of course the warranty is void, for one they weren't on the vehicle. If you are bring them into the service department in hand they have no clue where those shocks have been or what's been done with them, the also aren't going to reimburse you for purchasing the Monroes when they could have replaced them with Motorcrafts for less. How are they going to come out ahead financially if you already replaced the part out of your own pocket, you spent your money they kept theirs? They are not going to warranty your Monroe replacement shocks. That doesn't mean the warranty for the vehicle is void, just for the shocks.
First off the service dept. verified they were o.e.m. shocks by the markings. They said if they were to put it up on the hoist, as long as there was no visible leakage of hydraulic fluid they would not remove the shock from the vehicle thus there would be no way of knowing the shock was out of gas. So they could visible see by compressing the shocks in their hands that they were out of gas. Second the Motorcraft shocks cost way more than the Monroes and I saved the company labor costs also. Why would I want Motorcraft put back on the truck when they didn't last to begin with. I put a better shock on for less money. I just can't believe Ford would not say we will send the bad shocks back for warranty and cut you check for $165 and keep a customer happy so they return to buy a new car some day, but no they would rather lose a customer for $165. That just don't make good business sense.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals