• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New shock options along w/ body lift

SandFlea

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
(hope I plopped this in the right subforum)

I recently picked up an 04 Edge std cab, 3.0 4x4 and like many, I want to even the rake of the body. I dont intend to do any hardcore off roading, light trails round here, sand, roots and occasionally mud and more sand but pretty tame trails.

I plan to nab a level kit. Looking to get T keys (1-3") and maybe rear blocks (1") from supreme suspensions, wulf or whomever (honestly not sure w the brands still looking thru reviews, cost/benefit...)

My main concern are about shocks, since the body'll be raised up and essentially maxing the stock shocks, what'd be a good aftermarket shock to go with for the additional travel, best bang for buck &
slightly softer ride if possible? I'm stumped on the shock options....

This is my 1st truck, been tinkering w cars for years but damn near clueless w the Ranger, any help is appreciated

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
raising the body doesn't do anything to the shocks, the torsion keys on the other hand do...

I was being cheap a decade ago when I lifted my '90 and got the Skyjacker shocks from the TRS store, they were stupid cheap at I think $75 a pair but honestly I don't have any complaints and I've put them through heck... If I put some weight in the bed and dial in the "ain't care" level the stupid thing takes high speed bumps very respectably... with TTB all my friends say it looks broken when it's doing it's thing but in the cab it's a decent ride for what it is :)

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Actually... installing the lift keys on a SLA front suspension doesn't change a thing with suspension travel. Unless you alter the up or down travel stops... factory length shocks are fine.

SandFlea

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, thanks guys. I was under the impression yanking out the torsion to near max would have little to no travel or reach left within the stock shocks.
So to be clear, even with (or without) keys... the stock shocks are fine and wont feel like a dump truck

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Alright, thanks guys. I was under the impression yanking out the torsion to near max would have little to no travel or reach left within the stock shocks.
So to be clear, even with (or without) keys... the stock shocks are fine and wont feel like a dump truck
The trouble with putting re-indexed keys in the SLA... IS the fact you have no down travel left. They alone create the poor ride quality. You simply have to have both compression and rebound in a suspension. I hear some people say longer shocks works so much better... but I say bunk... you still have no down travel. The HARD down stop is the upper control arm contacting the frame. That point in travel is essentially the bottom of a factory shock. Each truck seems to be a little different. My passenger side hard stop and shock length stop is one in the same... driver side I run out of shock about a 1/4 inch before the hard stop. There is no extended length shock that will fix it. Not to mention you are now at drive axle and suspension max limits... it just wears everything out at an accelerated rate.

IMHO... you would be further ahead to replace your torsion bars with the heavy duty factory bars and use your factory keys. Then adjust them to the upper limits of the factory tolerances. That alone... with the correct wheel and tire combo will get you on 33 inch... tires before a body lift.

EDIT... I also moved your post to the 4WD suspension forum.

Last edited:

SandFlea

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Good insight, thanks (and the appropriate subforum move, noted)

So the fact of the matter seems your pretty much SOL as far as ride quality but i reckon ppl just deal w it as so many ppl run body lifts.

Looks like i got some thinking to do. Id like a better level look without overwearing other parts in the process. Ofcourse its more difficult than it seems 😆

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The torsion bar suspension is indeed a very limiting factor. There is a reason a lot of the 4X4 crowd prefer the older twin beam suspension and solid axle swaps.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
A body lift is an advantage in this respect as it will ride exactly the same before and after other than tire size, a body lift doesn't do anything at all to the suspension.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I think body lift is all I would do to a 98+ truck. Unless you wanna spend the bucks on whole axle drop kit. (If anybody still makes one?)

Besides with a 3" body lift you can clear large enough tires on them to start breaking things anyway.

SandFlea

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Ton of good info/insight from you guys, thanks

I scooted up to my local truck shop and spoke w the owner, opted to order a front leveling kit afterall which basically includes keys and bumpstop spacers. Being that i no longer have 2 ton jacks and all the toys hes gonna install it and do an alignment afterwards. 🤞

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I think body lift is all I would do to a 98+ truck. Unless you wanna spend the bucks on whole axle drop kit. (If anybody still makes one?)

Besides with a 3" body lift you can clear large enough tires on them to start breaking things anyway.
I've forgotten who currently makes them, but there are axle drop kits still available for SLA. You can also buy the parts to convert from torsion bar to coilovers. If you want a lift that rides well, that's probably the only viable path.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals