• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Shock Bracket Broke

snowwboarderdude56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I bought the below shocks from Pep Boys and had them installed at a local shop. The front driver side shock bracket broke is broke. Just had them installed last week. Pictures attached of front driver side, front passenger side and driver side rear. Also, it looks like the back shocks have scrape marks already.

1. Are these shocks not meant to be on a ranger? Looks like the shop added a washer to the front driver side but not the passenger drive side.

2. Do I need to replace all 4 shocks?

Front- Monroe Monro-Matic Plus Shock Absorber https://www.pepboys.com/monroe-monro....0L?quantity=1

Back- https://www.pepboys.com/monroe-monro....0L?quantity=1

Attachments

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I had that happen on the ass of my old 87 once. Autozone shock and i put a load of mulch or something in it and the shock wouldnt compress, hit a bump it was overwith.

Thats prolly what happend.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Looks like they did some hokey stuff when mounting that thing. Using those washers.. I'd drive it back and show it to the shop manager, telling him that I now have to buy a new shock because of they way they modified and installed it.

snowwboarderdude56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like they did some hokey stuff when mounting that thing. Using those washers.. I'd drive it back and show it to the shop manager, telling him that I now have to buy a new shock because of they way they modified and installed it.
Ya, I am not going to drive it but I have pictures and when I change the shocks going to go back and to that shop and get my money back and then return the shocks to Pep Boys. Just ordered some KYBs from Rock Auto for the same price.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I agree that they don't look like they were mounted right from the start. Possibly the wrong shock and they tried just rigging it to fit instead of getting the correct shock. Absolutely demand a refund for the work and the shocks, then go somewhere else or install them yourself.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I agree that something is up in the front, and it doesn't involve a tech who knew/cared what he was doing.

The scrape marks on the rear are normal. That upper sleeve isn't "fixed". It is there to protect the shaft and seal and can wobble in normal operation, so it can move around and cause those marks without there being something wrong.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Guys, it's obvious that shock bracket was cut.. Then they used washers to try to keep it mounted.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the lower cross bars look like folded over stamped steel, not a solid piece. it's too narrow for a correct fit.
by- the-way, Crown Vic front shocks are almost exactly the same dimensions as Rangers, the narrower cross bar is the difference.
on the rear shock, that groove looks kind of deep, is it?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals