• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New, replacement Cam Synchronizer "squeaks"

ptf18

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford RangerEDGE
Transmission
Automatic
2002 Edge with the 3.0l engine. Replaced the OEM Cam Synchronizer that had 245k on it that had an OCCASIONAL "squeak". Installed a new Motorcraft unit. All was well. Now, with about 600 miles on the new unit, it has started a CONTINUOUS "squeak".

Anyone have a replacement Motorcraft unit do this? I'm ordering a NEW Motorcraft unit. I'm real concerned as the "squeak" is CONTINUOUS.

Thoughts? As in perhaps I should NOT be driving this truck untill I get the unit replaced?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Did you soak the gear in oil before installing?

Also what brand is it? I to replace mine twice because the first one was not a motorcraft.

Also the squeak could be something else.

I drove mine for a while like that, should be fine, just mind the oil pressure gauge.

ptf18

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford RangerEDGE
Transmission
Automatic
The replacement unit is/was Motorcraft DA2098. I well soaked the lower part in oil, rotating the shaft as I soaked it.

Not much faith in the Oil Pressure "indicator" being that its a glorified ON/OFF indicator that does not indicate actual pressure. Better than nothing though....

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
The replacement unit is/was Motorcraft DA2098. I well soaked the lower part in oil, rotating the shaft as I soaked it.

Not much faith in the Oil Pressure "indicator" being that its a glorified ON/OFF indicator that does not indicate actual pressure. Better than nothing though....
Mine has a pressure gauge, its the 4.0 OHV also, but still same cam synchro deal (pretty much)...sounds like it might be something else.

If its consistent enough to test, I would pull the belt and run it for a very short time (no alt or waterpump) to hear if it still squeaks or not. If its it goes away without the belt, I would replace the idler pulleys and belt tensioner.

Mine still squeaks, but its so occasional and inconsistent that I just live with it.

ptf18

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford RangerEDGE
Transmission
Automatic
Eddo... I ran the engine again this morning. Still has a squeak. (its 40* outside).

Removed the belt and ran the engine...no squeak...

Hand spun all the pulleys (All). No "unusual" noises OR looseness in the bearings (tensioner and idler) (A/C, P/S, Water Pump, Alternator felt/sounded OK)

I looked at the belt and found little specks of silver "stuff" embedded into the grooves..... No idea what the "stuff" is. Did my best to remove them. Reinstalled the belt......

Started the truck up and left it run a couple minutes....... NO SQUEAK.....

Ordered a new M/C belt......

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Eddo... I ran the engine again this morning. Still has a squeak. (its 40* outside).

Removed the belt and ran the engine...no squeak...

Hand spun all the pulleys (All). No "unusual" noises OR looseness in the bearings (tensioner and idler) (A/C, P/S, Water Pump, Alternator felt/sounded OK)

I looked at the belt and found little specks of silver "stuff" embedded into the grooves..... No idea what the "stuff" is. Did my best to remove them. Reinstalled the belt......

Started the truck up and left it run a couple minutes....... NO SQUEAK.....

Ordered a new M/C belt......
Spinning em by hand I dont think would create the same effect as under tension and rpms.

I would swap in a fresh tensioner/idler pulley while at it. Its cheap easy insurance.

Sounds like you are on the right track. There are many threads debating the best belts lol.

Maybe make sure A/C compressor pulley/clutch aint doing anything weird (if you have one).

Matter of fact maybe take a peek around anything aluminum see if you can track the shrapnel. Maybe something is not right and rubbing or binding or misaligned or bad bearing.

ptf18

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford RangerEDGE
Transmission
Automatic
Eddo... Thanks. I ordered a new M/C belt and while I was removing/reinstalling the belt I saw that the (OEM) plastic cooling fan has sever cracks between the individual blades and its hub. Ordered a new M/C fan. I've seen these plastic fans develop cracks in the same location on other vehicles. No one seems to "concerned" but I am so.... (245k on the fan+its 20 Y.O.)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals