• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New rebuilt engine, no high speed power bad MPG

xintersecty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 96 Extended Cab Ranger 3.0 that I drove hard until about 220000 miles. I blew an engine and replaced my self with a junkyard engine. I had that engine about 10000 miles. Ran ok 20 MPG highway at 80 MPH avg but had no towing capacity.

I got a new job and some cash and had my engine "professional" replaced. I felt the shop did a decent job but very expensive. I was happy with low end accelation and until I started to drive it on the highway the problems became clear. I know the engine nees some break-in and I gave it two good long drives before I took it back to the shop. I was averaging 16 mpg (could get 21 MPG) and I could not matain 70 on rolling hills. Often I would drive with the gas pedel to the floorboard.

I took it back to the shop and they replaced the catalyic converter. Resonable approach to the problem. My gas millage has not changed nor the power on hills. I took it to an other professional mechanic. He found only one thing wrong. The cam position sensor was 180 degrees off. He fixed that. I feel the truck is a little stronger but still weak at speed on hills. In fact in 5th gear any rolling hills it just loses power.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

If they can get the engine to preform back to orginal spec. 21 MPG on highway and to be able to tow I will be happy and feel the money spent was worth it, otherwise I have a 6 grand lemon.

If they can't fix it, do I have any legal recourse?

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was averaging 16 mpg (could get 21 MPG) and I could not matain 70 on rolling hills.
Other than the mileage, I also can't maintain 70 on rolling hills - in 5th

Any ideas? Suggestions?
Have you done a compression test?

Otherwise I have a 6 grand lemon.
If they can't fix it, do I have any legal recourse?
Did you get a warranty and what does the warranty say?

Last edited:

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
did they happen to change the torque converter for any reason?

xintersecty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I should have mentioned manual transmisson. That's my bust. I have lived in NC most of my life. There is a good amount of Rolling Hills. I used to be able to matain 70 and get good millage. Now I have it floored and watch my speedo creap down.

I have a little ecno-box (Chevy Aveo) that I drive when I go between SC and NC and it does fine over rolling hills. Driving near Ashville I have to floor it. My truck in the old days would just spring over those mountains. Every once in a while into 4th gear.

I did buy a warrenty with the engine. It seems a shame to use it right out of the door of the shop. :sad:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals