• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New rear axle requires different drum brake hardware

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
No. The metal tag was taken off. I was told sometimes the remanufactured ones don't come with the tag. But it has a serial number and part number that correspond with 8.8/4.10

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
The new rear axle assembly is completely installed now. I've been working on it by myself for days. I think all I have left is brakes and bleed.

I've done drum brakes before. But this new axle uses similar but different hardware. In the photo above, what is the orientation to the front of the truck?
(if for example an arrow was used). Is the hardware setup the same for both driver and passenger side rear?

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Drum brakes are mirror images of each other. This means that if a spring goes towards the front it will on both sides, if it goes on the rear the same spring will go on the rear of the other side as well.

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. Thanks. I just wanted to make sure because my Chilton manual pictures don't show the updated drum brake hardware pieces.
But it does say the long end of the adjuster screw points toward the front of the truck. So this will help with orientation.

Also, someone at the factory wrote '4.10 L' on the axle housing. This might answer Don's question asked earlier in this discussion. This assembly did not come with the metal ID tag.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If your truck is still on stands grab one wheel and spin it. Does the opposite wheel turn in the same direction or the opposite direction?

If both wheels turn same direction, it is indicative of a limited slip or locked axle. Turning in opposite directions is a sign of an open differential. This will let you know if you have a "4.10" or a "4.10 L".

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I don't want to change the subject too far from brakes. But the manufacturer said I have a conventional axle..
And correction..............someone at the factory chalk-marked '4.10 N'. This means it is a 4.10 with NEW gears.

Thanks for the info Josh

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I was able to mix and match a few pieces from different model years to make it work. Done.
Thanks.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Clearly time for the Mustange rear disk brake upgrade as described in the TechLibrary.

Best upgrade I ever did for my 2002 Ranger. Also have a journal with photos from my upgrade if helpful.

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah. That 8.8 rear axle retrofit complicated things with the drum brakes. You know the wheel cylinder push rods (also called links)? They don't make those anymore for my model year. So I had to buy the ones made for Jeep. And it worked.

I did some reading about that Ranger rear disc brake conversion you speak of. I got other tasks pending with home and truck. So that conversion would be a few years down the road for me. I wouldn't mind saving your project photos to my hard drive....if it's not any inconvenience for you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals