• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Ranger owner

wrang98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone I just bought a 98 ranger 4.0L manual a few weeks ago! So I am pretty new to this forum thing and my knowledge of cars and trucks isn't the greatest but the Ranger had been sitting for several years and the owner would drive it maybe two or three times a year just to move stuff. So since I bought it I have replaced the radiator and thermostat, fuel filter, changed the oil, and I had the alignment done.

Since it has been sitting I would like to know if anyone has some advice on maintenance or what I should do to ensure the vehicle runs properly? Should I change the fluids (brake, power steering, clutch, transmission fluid)? The tires are pretty new, have about 2,500 miles on them. What else should I do or check?

Something that has been bugging me is that for no reason at all when I start the truck or am coming to a stop every once in a while the truck will die. when its at the start up i can push the accelerator pedal and the rpm's will rise slightly then go back down and the only solution is to restart the truck. When Im driving and coming to a stop sometimes the oil pressure gauge will freak out moving all around and then the truck dies. My buddy and I think it might be the fuel pump shut off switch but we are not sure. If you need me to describe something with more detail or test something please let me know.

Any other advice would be awesome! Thank you very much

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If it has been sitting for a long time, dont be surprised if you do have to replace some parts, I got a 93 from my father in law that was sitting for a long time. he only used it a few times a year. I had to replace wheel bearings, rotors, calipers, pads, some brake lines. Make sure to check the diff fluid front and rear.

this is a good site for information too http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ford/4.0L/index-of-articles-1

oil pressure bouncing around is probably the sending unit. I'd clean the MAF too. with MAF cleaner. check plugs and wires, they really affect the way the 4.0 runs.

Check out the tech articles link at the top of the page too. Great stuff on there!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals