• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Ranger owner beginning v8 conversion

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Good evening to all.
This forum is the greatest knowledge base on any subject I have ever read..... seriously. I am glad to be associated with you folks.

I just unloaded (acquired yesterday), 1987 SB/STD Ranger 4cyl/auto, not running but body in "proper" sleeper condition. Today the 1997 2wd V8 Explorer made it home, still ambulatory.

I have a couple of weeks to get the engine/trans out of the ranger so that it will roll easier, Omg its heavy for its size. Im sure stuck wheel bearings, dragging rusted calipers and shoes, an auto trans arent helping. In mothballs since 2013. Anybody need a 4 cyl donor for a project in West TN??

I thought today I was going after a 237k mile V8 donor in Mississippi that was AWD, but I was pleasantly surprised to find 2WD.... with a RWD tailshaft on trans....... CEL but otherwise really runs very well. The Explorer will only donate the trans, accessories, driveshaft. I will need to source another Explorer with 3L73 rear end as the 2WD is Open Diff. I need to run gear ratios, maybe the 3.55 would be better...... or maybe the 4R70 overdrive allows for a 4.10......... Ill have to crunch numbers again.

My intentions are to pull the bed, back half by swapping the 8.8 in, narrowed symmetrical, re-hung above leafs, relocate the leafs at least to explorer locations if not inboard of the frame. Add Caltracs and potentialy recommended leafs from Calvert. I was planning an Alston 4 link/cantilever but I have a very solid budget number to hit and its not in the cards. I will have to tubb the fenders a few inches as Id like to fill tires to the frame and keep them tucked. Also, use dropped beams to bring the front end down a bit.

I was planning a T56 new from MDL and again, the budget is just not there. I hate automatics, hate them. Since the donor has a nice rebuilt (at least not 237k on it) 4R70 ..... its essentially free.....and with a full manual valve body, well....... Ill get my manual shifts, no vacuum or linkage concerns and no controller costs. I have a Wanted ad here placed for a clutch assembly as I may still in the future get the funds for a t56.... although I did find many affordable sources for them after the listing. Im still looking though. I have one son, just cant seem to get a manual trans..... the automatic will allow him to enjoy the car as well I suppose.

Lastly the engine wont be used and will be sold off, folowing its use as a fitment piece. I have a 57k mile (in storage from 2005) old 2001 Explorer AWD engine, missing a few frontal accessories for the actual install. Ill "rape" the donor for brackets, etc if needed and use it for the final iteration. The 1997 engine is in fine condition, I see a rear main seal needed and will do a bunch of testing to find the CEL causes, compression, etc... but it sure drove home nice today. I am hoping to reduce my cost (recoup) by liquidating the high mileage engine, computers, rear axle (Open Diff 3.55), turbine wheels, etc before the 97 finds its wasy to Gerdau Ameristeel in Jackson (the steel mill!!)

Lastly the final iteration will have a temporary 650 cfm carb and DP manifold with a basic electronic distributor. Simply put..... I dont like the Ford EFI, didnt like it on my 1990 mustang gt that I bought new way back when, dont want it now. Id rather MegaSquirt/Edelbrock/Holley/FiTech something with TBI than fool around with Motorcraft programming. Before I hits 75000 miles Ill try to install heads/springs/cam/timing chain/ and go back to EDIS and tune according to head and cam capacity. A stock 302 HO at 215HP is no slouch in a Ranger, albeit not 400hp worth of burp...

In any case that is my introduction. I am a 51 year old Ford guy, not like I am a super Ford tech guy/wrench, just a guy who hates all things Bowtie and Bullcrap as I have driven them all and they have all stranded me in the 1.5 million miles I have driven in my life. All except my blue ovals..... broken yes (because of me), screwed me, never. OBS forever is my position. I own an 02 Exped, 98 F150, 2011 Ranger, a recenlty departed 1994.5 first Month production Powerstroke F250 LB 2WD/ 5SPDthat sold 2 weeks ago with only 141k on the clock. I needed more space with both of my college sons having independent cars, insufficient room to keep the diesel green beast. Now I have a baby blue, teeny tiny 87 to take care of any midlife crisis that may arise.

Looking forward to participating here. Thanks for having me.
Mike in Memphis

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site. Lots of photos. Take lots of photos.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It might be better to just add a limited slip diff to the current axle, since any axle you find with the limited slip will very likely need the clutch packs rebuilt anyway.

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My truck only has a 7.5 axle. I really need the 8.8 hence the incentive to swap to explorer rear in total.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Welcome. You're going to need some electronics to run the 4R70, assuming you want it to be able to shift automatically and lock the convertor. If you use a carb and distributor I'd recommend away from a Pertronix billet Flamethrower. I originally used one but found an 8 second delay before the centrifugal advance came in and a 14 second delay returning to base timing at idle. It runs worlds better with the Chinese made Napa Duraspark distributor.

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Any advantage to me installing a Heidt or similar Mustang 2 IFS? It’s a PITA to tear down the entire front can section to access but it seems like having a tiny steering box, manual rack and pinion, deleted PS pump and way more oil pan clearance would be of great benefit not to mention adjusting the ride compliance/spring rate options and perfect alignment.

it’s only about $1600 hard cost to perform the install- I have to rehab the existing brakes, coil springs, shocks and rebuild the wearing parts anyway——- as the truck is very tired!
Any feedback or experience in such matters would be appreciated.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome. You're going to need some electronics to run the 4R70, assuming you want it to be able to shift automatically and lock the convertor. If you use a carb and distributor I'd recommend away from a Pertronix billet Flamethrower. I originally used one but found an 8 second delay before the centrifugal advance came in and a 14 second delay returning to base timing at idle. It runs worlds better with the Chinese made Napa Duraspark distributor.
He said it has a full manual valve body, and he doesn't want any of the vacuum or programming. Just to shift it manually. I have three Ford vehicles with autos, and I mostly shift them manually, to get them revving higher than the stupid programming.

Since the donor has a nice rebuilt (at least not 237k on it) 4R70 ..... its essentially free.....and with a full manual valve body, well....... Ill get my manual shifts, no vacuum or linkage concerns and no controller costs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals